Thirsk in old picture postcards

Thirsk in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Wyon
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2315-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Thirsk in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Approaching Thirsk on the road from Y ork one enters Barbeck. The beek ltself runs under the road in the foreground of this photograph and soon joins the Cod Beek, nearer Thirsk. The half-timbered cottage, with the thatched roof, just beyend the railings of the little bridge, was demolished befere 1914. Three doors further on one ean see the sign-boards of the Queen's Head Inn, which ceased to function as a Public House in 1928 and became a private residence. It has now been altered almost out of recognition. On the York side of the beek there once stood a little Chapel dedicated to St. Giles. It was licensed by the Archbishop ofYork in 1345. All that now remains is a small field called 'Chapel Hili Close'.

30. Ingramgate is a wide, pleasant road forming the entry into Thirsk from the east side. At the bridge over the Cod Beek in the foreground of this picture the road becomes Finkle Street. This is a short length of very narrow road, with a sharp bend in the middle, and it leads directly into the large Market Place. In the background is the White Mare Hotel, which took its name from an incident that occurred many centuries ago. A white mare was running on the Hambleten Race Course, which was on the moors above Sutton Bank at that time, when its rider lost control and they both crashed over the high Whitestone Cliff to their deaths. The Hotel was closed and finally demolished in 1928 to widen the entry on to the Scarborough Road.

31. The Royal Artillery present a very smart appearance as they progress down Ingramgate in 1906. They are just reaching the bridge and Mr. Clarke would be taking the picture from the family studio window. The watching residents appear to be in their best Sunday outfits. The varied row of houses on the left can still be recognised today, including the oldest one, about halfway along, with the steeply sloping roof built for thatching. It is quite five hundred years old and was built as a Hall House, of timber construction, with the hall extending right up to the roof. It probably had a central fireplace originally. During the eighteenth century an upper floor was built inside, and sorne of the timbers were cut to give headroom. Also, about this time, the front of the house was protected by constructing a brick wall covering, and recent alterations have revealed that the timbers are still there behind the brickwork.

32. The road surface of Ingramgate was repaired with tarmacadam in 1910 for the first time. It is recorded that Adam Carlisle Bamlett had been interested in tarmacadam for a number of years before this date. He was the owner of the foundry in Thirsk which had made agricultural machinery since 1860. Near this part of Ingramgate is a unique milestone, which was placed there at the same time as all the other milestones on the newly built Turnpike roads. This one shows a cattie drover on one side, holding bis 'bullock walloper' in his left hand and a pint mug of Thirsk beer in his right hand. Two centuries ago large herds of cattle were driven all the way from Scotland to cities in the south of England, where the population was increasing rapidly. Later the drovers used the quieter upland routes, to avoid both the road tolls and the hard surfaces of the main routes.

33. This procession on Ingramgate Bridge, in aid of the Railway Orphan Fund, took place in July 1906. It was usual at that time to carry large, handmade banners proclaiming the name of the organisation and often depicting a vivid scene. This custom is still followed in Northern Ireland. The large number of peop!e supporting this march shows the widespread concern for the orphans, whose fathers had been killed in the numerous fata! accidents on the very fast stretch of railway line between Y ork and Darlington. In addition, there had been severa1 large-scale derailments and major accidents in this area. The gentleman on the far left, with a dark moustache, was one of the Clarke family, father and two sons, who pioneered photography and took the majority of the postcards in this book.

34. This picture of "The Queen's Head' inn was taken about the year 1900, with the landlord, William Harland, standing in front of the door. It was one of the thirty-one Public Houses in old and new Thirsk, which was a market town famous for its beer. There were three Breweries active in Thirsk in the nineteenth century. Rhode's Brewery in Kirkgate has recently been converted into flats, but the tall chirnney, and the louvres of the drying area, are left to teil the tale. There is a date stone with 1803 on it and the initials W.R. (William Rhodes). Tweedy's Brewery in Long Street can still be recognised by the chirnney and louvred windows, but is now Swales Garage (see 50). Cass's Brewery was in Kirkgate, near the Cross Keys Inn, but no obvious traces remain.

35. This postcard was taken in Barbeek in 1908, looking towards York. The half-timbered, thatched cottage can be seen again and is obviously the last house on the east side of the village. There has been a garage business on the site for many years. The soldiers are 'The Volunteers' during their annual camp and training fortnight. Their two-wheeled, barrel vehicle was evidently pulled by the men as no horse is present. They are drawing water from a standpipe on the pavement, which can be seen to the left of the nearside wheel. The gatepost of the Queen's Head lnn is on the far left, behind the old gentleman. One wonders if the standpipe was rather too near for the landlord to resist watering the beer! In fact, this would not happen in a Market Town like Thirsk, which was barely half a mile across and yet had thirty-one Public Houses, all vying for trade. Twelve of them were actually in the Market Place itself,

36. Finkle Street is seen here from the top of the bridge and shows the interesting roofs of the ancient buildings, including the Old Three Tuns seen above the stooping figure. At this point the road turns left in a graceful curve, and within fifty yards it enters the Market Place. This is another example of the 'hidden entry' which is a feature of so many villages and towns in this area. One theory is that villages developed in this way to proteet the inhabitants against maurauders, and certainly any villain who managed to get into Thirsk Market Place would find it extremely difficult to see any means of rapid escape. This scene, with road sweepers clearing up the horse dung which littered the streets in the days before motor cars, must have been a daily spectac1e.

37. Salem Chapel was completed in 1850 when the lndependents left Chapel Street, so the inscription of 1866 on the front wall presumably indicated the date of an improvement. It is a dignified and spacious building, with a gallery on three sides, which was typical of the time when nearly everybody attended Church or Chapel. Salem was built by the Independents (later known as Congregationalists), who were the oldest group of nonconformists in England, starting in 1567. In Elizabethan days many of these nonconformists fled to Holland to escape punishment due for refusing to attend the Church. Later, in 1620, some of them crossed to America as Pilgrims on the 'Mayflower', in search of freedom to worship as they wished. The wall in the front of this photograph was known as 'Harbour Yard' and was built in 1767 on the bank of the Cod Beek, as the first part of the proposed canal from Thirsk to the River Swale (see next page).

38. This picture of Loek Bridge was taken about 1900. It was built on the site of the only loek ever constructed for the 'Cod Beek Navigation Scheme', which was planned to link Thirsk to the River Swale, and beyond to the West Riding via the river systerns. By this means it was hoped to bring cheap coal to the district and no doubt to export heavy goods, In 1767 an Act of Parliament was passed, authorising the work to be carried out and it was said that there was great feasting and rejoicing in Thirsk for many days! The work was started just below Thirsk bridge, where the 'Harbour Yard' was constructed. The iron rings in the wall, which were to be used for mooring the barges, are still there today. Half a mile of Cod Beek, to the south of the harbour, was straightened and embanked and the first lock was built near Sowerby, on the Flatts. However, no further money was available so the whole scherne ended there.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek