Thirsk in old picture postcards

Thirsk in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Wyon
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2315-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Thirsk in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. The Lambert Memorial Hospital is shown as it was when first built in 1890. There were two small wards, one either side of a central duty room, from which the Matron could ob serve the patients through a window on each side, The main entrance was in Chapel Street, with the kitchen on one side and the office on the other. A very simple plan compared with the same Hospital today, with its many extensions. It was built and opened by Mrs. S. Lambert in 1890, in memory of her husband, who was a retired Admiral. He had been a General Practitioner in Thirsk for many years, Baines Directory of 1840 records that a Surgeon, W. Lambert, was resident in Thirsk, and in the south transept of Sowerby Church there is a beautiful stained glass window in memory of Sarah Lambert, who died in May 1897.

40. This photograph was taken in Chape1 Street and shows the north side of the Lambert Memorial Hospital, about the year 1910, not long after the extension was added. This first enlargement was built in 1906 and consisted of the two storey section nearest to the viewer. It was again extended in 1928 when Mrs. Fernandes gave a donation in memory of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hansell, which allowed the hospital to be doub1ed in length in a southerly direction. The litt1e brick shed has been removed to make room for an ambulance entry and the cottage on the far right has become an outpatient clinic. Across the street from the hospital is a group of four houses, 1, 3, 5 and 7, Chapel Street, which used to be the 'Independents' chape1, erected in 1804, but later converted to dwellings when Salem Church was opened in 1850. Before the Independents Chape1 was built this street was known as Back Lane.

41. The new wing of the Lambert Memorial Hospital was opened in September 1906. The money for this dignified addition had been provided by public subscription. It was evident that the small hospital had filled alocal need very successfully, and that the people of Thirsk and Sowerby felt that extra bed-space was now required. In this picture a crowd of local residents has gathered for the opening ceremony, and to inspeet the finished ward, Unlike the original hospital building, the new wing had two storeys, the upper level providing a number of rooms for the Matron and other members of staff to be in fuil-time residence,

42. The old Millgate Mill is pictured here in 1930, and on the left is Blackett's Currier's shop, one of many in Thirsk in the nineteenth century. In addition there were at least two tanneries. The Mill was a three-storeyed structure and had two tweIve feet water wheels. In 1855 a steam engine was installed for extra power. The chimney can be seen beyond the roof. The mill was then run by a joint stock company called "Thirsk Provident Cornmill'. Shares at n each were issued and shareholders could buy flour at twopence a stone below market price. In the 1880's the mill was taken over by the Rymer brothers, whose father, William, had built Kilvington Mill. They also had a steam mill in Long Street, which was demolished in 1979. The field in the foreground was called the Tenter Garth, where the cloth from the Dyeworks was hung on tenterhooks to dry. The Dyeworks were across the road from the mill, in Dyer's Yard.

43. The New Pavillon of Thirsk Cricket Club was opened in 1907 on the Race Course, opposite the grandstand. In 1955 a plaque was unveiled in the pavillon to commemorate Thomas Lord, the founder of Lord's Cricket Ground in London. He was bom in Thirsk on November 3rd, 1755, at No. 16 Kirkgate. This small house was cçnverted into a local Museum in 1976, and a Tourist Information Centre, Thomas Lord's father became involved in the 1745 rising and so lost his land. The family moved to Diss, in Norfolk, when Thomas was a youth. When he reached manhood he migrated to London and found employment as a bowler at the White Conduit Club. In time he became the tenant and when the land was sold, he moved the turf to Regent's Park, and later to St. John's Wood. To quote from P. Warner's History of the M.C.C., 'this club was the acorn that blossomed into the gigantic oak known as the Marylebone Cricket Club'.

44. Here we see Finkle Street during the floods of July 1930, when the Cod Beek burst its banks for several days. People visiting Thirsk in the summer-time might be surprised at the size of the bridges for so small a stream, but if they returned in winter flood time they would see a fast running torrent. The Cod Beek rises in the high moorland to the north of Osmotherly and many side streams join it fr om the Hambleton Hills. In 1754 there was a cloudburst over the moors, causing severe flooding, during which the Finkle Street bridge was swept away. It was later replaced by the present one which is higher, with wider arches. On the same day the River Rye flooded in Helmsley, thirteen miles from Thirsk and washed away two houses, with the Ioss of thirteen lives. One person, however, had a miraculous escape. She was ill in bed and after floating half a mile downstream, she was found safe and sound in a field - still in bed!

45. This picture of Thirsk Floods in 1930 was taken from the top of Millgate Bridge, looking up Bridge Street into the Green. The group of people in the centre are waiting for the horse and cart to ferry them .across into the Market Place. The water has evidently entered the shops and houses of Bridge Street. Across the Green ean be seen a corner of the big Methodist Church, which was demolished in 1960. The cause of the floods was considered to be the blockage of the river bed by fallen trees. When these were removed it was hoped that floods would not recur. The making of a dam across the Cod Beek, north of Osmotherly, to augment the Northallerton water supply, was believed to be a further safeguard. However, in 1979 aflood occurred again, and the waterside houses below Millgate Bridge were inundated,

46. The great floods in Thirsk, in the year 1930, are here seen from the Green, looking along Bridge Street to the Millgate Bridge. The Austin Motor car, and the horse and cart behind it, are ferrying people across to get to their work. This went on for a week and an enterprising owner of a horse and cart made a good profit! The course of the river is beyond the taU willow trees, the bright water showing up the rapidly moving current. In 1771 a huge flood in Thirsk was recorded by Thomas J. Foggitt, the great grandfather of William Foggitt, who is the popular television weatherman, living in Thirsk. His grandfather, also named William, noted one of the wettest summers on record in 1879. In August that year, the Cod Beck overflowed into the Market Place and a draper, Sam Ingham, who lived in Ingramgate, rowed hirnself to work in his boat every day for a week!

47. The Wesleyan Church on St. James' Green was built in 1816 ofyellow brick and is shown in this photograph about the turn of the century. It was a large structure, with galleries on three sides, and was capable of seating over a thousand people. The fine railings and wrought iron gates, with irnpressive archway above, have all disappeared, The first Wesleyan Church on this site was octagonal in shape and was almost a copy of the one still to be seen at Yarm. John Wesley wrote in hisjournal that it 'was not quite the equal of that at Yarm', which may explain why it lasted only fifty years! The cottage on the left of the picture is still there, but the two on the right were demolished before 1908 to make room for the building of a large Sunday School...

· ~ .

,-§\tmmt·fI15.i{M'AAMM%·Siß-$,sslMN\*W

48. The laying of the numerous foundation stones, each with the name of a benefactor carved on it, took place in 1908, thus assuring an outstandingly usefullife of the Wesleyan Sunday Schools on the Green in Thirsk. This fine building is there to this day and in full use every Sunday as the Church. No doubt the Sunday School children filled it at first, just as the old, large Church was in full use, but over the next forty years, spanning the two World Wars, attenders at Churches and Chapels everywhere declined dramatically. The large Wesleyan Church was pulled down in 1960 when the upkeep had become too expensive. Since that time the Sunday School building has become the Church.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek