Thirsk in old picture postcards

Thirsk in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Wyon
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2315-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Thirsk in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

ยท ~ .. ==t

69. The Frankland family came to Thirkleby Park in the seventeenth century. Sir William Frankland was made a baronet by Charles IJ in 1660, and he represented Thirsk in parliament, as did many of his successors. About the year 1780 Sir Thomas Frankland engaged the architect, James Wyatt, to design the magnificent Hall in the photograph, in the ltalian style, It was built on the site of an Elizabethan mansion. By 1849 there was no male heir, so the property passed to Lady Emily Frankland, recently married to Sir William Payne-Gallway, Their eldest son, Sir Ralph, lived there for many years, but the splendid Hall was almost derelict by 1930, when it was finally demolished completely, Certain parts of the ornately carved panelling survive in a few houses in Thirsk, and on York Road the lofty gateway, built in 1792, with a lodge on each side, is still in existence as a private dwelling.

70. The North Eastem Railway Omnibus was burnt out on Station Road in September 1900. lt was in constant use carrying passengers the mile-leng joumey from the station to the Market Place. It had followed the horse bus, and there is a record of a steam bus at one time. The bus in the picture evidently had solid tyres, chain drive and a body constructed of wood. The main line from London to Darlington was opened in 1841, passing Thirsk a mile west of the town. The N.E.R. trucks in the background of the photograph were standing at the end of another line, from Leeds to Thirsk town, which was completed in 1849. Only goods trains carne to this depot. Passengers would alight at the mainline station. The Leeds line closed in 1965.

71. This splendid charabanc was in use 1900-1910, but there is no sign of proteetion from the weather! The tiered seats rising towards the back must have given a very good view to all the passengers. Hopefully they would travel quite slowly, otherwise it would have been very chilly. This development brought the possibility of an occasional motor-ride within the reach of many people who would never have had the chance before. The first house on the left is Ingram House, which was the property of Lady Frankland Russell, of Thirkleby Hall, in 1859, and later belonged to her descendants, the Payne-Gallways, There is still a public house in Ingramgate called The Frankland Arrns, Ingram House onee had extensive 'pleasure gardens', but now a eurved row of ten elegant houses stands there, known as The Crescent.

72. Thirsk Town Hall is unusual in that it was planned and built by a group of individuals who formed themselves into a company, called Thirsk Town Hall and Constitutional Club Building Company Ltd., wi

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek