Troon in old picture postcards

Troon in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Stewart C. Wyllie and James Wilson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4890-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Troon in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

INTRODUCTION

Troon is a small traditional modern town with very little history , the rnain town centre only dating from the early 1800's. Before then it was a small coastal hamIet between Irvine and A yr in the parish of Dundonaid and consisting of a few small farms, fishermens cottages and an inn.

The name Troon was probably taken from the Gaelic 'AN - Trone', meaning 'The Nose' or 'The Bill'. The spelling of Troon had changed over the years: Trune, Trone, Tryne and Trwyn.

Smuggling was rife on Troon's shoreline. Matthew Hay and his cronies used the north shore ne ar where the salt pans were, to land his contraband spirits, tobacco etc.; from there it was spirited away to Loans, Dundonaid, Collenan and beyond, some times just ahead of the excise men and soldiers. Troon, in the early days, was owned by the Fullarton family, in 1344 they were granted a charter from King Robert lI, granting them the lands of Crosbie, Lady Isle and Orangefield which they owned till 1805 when it was sold to the Marquis of Titchfield, afterwards known as the 4th Duke of Portland, Marquis of Ailsa,

In 1707 William Fullarton was granted a charter

from Queen Anne to constitute a free port at Troon and form accommodation to receive vessels and charge a levy from all vessels landing or loading materials, it appears that little was done for nearly 100 years till the Duke of Portland started to develop the harbour, in 1808, and in 1815 a ship building yard was completed. In 1843 when the Duke leased it to the Troon Shipbuilding Company, who carried on building ships till 1885 when the Ailsa Building Company took over, which was subsequently nationalised, as most other yards were. With the run down of ship building in Scotland it was sold to an Australian businessman who still runs it, but on a much smaller scale.

A well-known landmark 'The Ballast Bank' was started about 1865 to form a shelter against storms and high tides for the harbour area. As its name suggests it was built from ballast, a lot of which came from ships arriving in the harbour to piek up their cargoes of coal, timber etc., which they transported to Ireland, the Americas and ot her parts of the world. Troon was at one time one of the busiest ports on the west coast of Scotland.

Troon has over its years had an industrial life such as

shipbuilding, railway rep air depot, ship breaking, saltworks and a sawmill, but sadly most of these have now gone.

The Duke of Portland's name still lives today in the name of streets such as Portland Street, Portland Terrace and Titchfield Road; also one of the oldest hotels, up till a few years ago was named the Portland Arms, the original hotel on that site was built by the Duke in 1812. It burnt down in 1847; later on it was rebuilt as we now know it.

In front of the Portland Arms was the passenger terminus for the first railway in Scotland, the Troon to Kilmarnock line, which was built by the Duke to transport co al from his mines near Kilmarnock to Troon harbour for export. The first waggons were pulled by horses, later on by one of the first steam engines, known as 'The Duke'. At a later time passengers were carried one shilling (five pence) being the fare for a return ticket Troon to Kilmarnock sitting inside.

Early in the 19th century Troon started to grow, many wealthy ship owners and merchants moved to Troon and built large houses. One was Charles Marr, who died in 1909 and left his estate for the

benefit of the children of Troon, to further their education, Sir Alexander Walker, the rnanaging director of Johnnie Walkers whisky firm in Kilmarnock, took over the management of the Trust, thereby ensuring that not only did Troon have a splendid College, but also a large fund for the future well-being of the College and the pupils, i.e. bursaries, sport equipment etc.

In 1810 the population of Troon was 200, today it is more than 14,000, so Troon expanded greatly. Now it is more of a dormitery town for other industrial and commercial towns surrounding it, as far afield as Glasgow.

The foregoing is a small potted history of Troon which we hope will give an insight to Troonites old and new. We also hope you will enjoy our collections of 'Old Troon' from 1880 to 1930 in postcards. Our sineere thanks to the following: Walter W. Clearie, M.A. for authentication, Mrs. Hogg, Miss Hogg Jr., Flora Wilson and June Paterson for assistance and the use of some postcards.

Stewart Wyllie & J ames Wilsen

On ~Jraon Share

1. On the beach at Troon, early 1900's. A crowd of happy children wearing clothes of the period. The bearded man was the boat hirer, he is wearing a deep sea bonnet and would have been a retired seafarer. In the disrance in the centre of the picture is the area where Troon swimming pool was built in 1930/31 and later demolished in the 1980's.

"The Esplanade. Troon

2. Troon Promenade, early 1900's. An excellent view of Portland Terrace and Titchfield Road with the band stand in the middle (notice how flat the ground is - raised shortly after this to proteet the town from south-westerly gal es).

3. Troon Esplanade 1900. This photograph is taken from the area known as McCubbins Gangways but long before his time, there is no band stand on the shore front, the grass banking in Portland Terrace is missing, presumably this is taken before the Troon floods. The banking was installed shortly after to proteet the town. Note St. Clair Terrace are still not built.

4. 'The bathing station' at Betsy's Kim, opposite the top end of Welbeek Crescent. It was used till the swimming pool opened in 1931 near by.

The Beach, Troon.

5. South Beach around 1920. The bathing huts in the rear were pulled to the waters edge by horses, hence the large wheels.

Band' ~tand with Pipe Band, Troon.

6. The band stand about 1908, with band performing. It was built in 1906 and demolished in 1959 to make way for the paddling pool.

7. The Esplanade from the south with Troon in the background. As you can see there are no sand dunes, the crowd of people are buying ice cream from 'Tog's' Barrow in 1902 (Togneri is still in business). On the right is now a car park.

8. Craiglea Hotel, South Beach, taken trom the shore side around 1926.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek