Troon in old picture postcards

Troon in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Stewart C. Wyllie and James Wilson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4890-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Troon in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

The Parish Cr-urch from the Esp:anade.

9. The Parish Church from the Esplanade. An excellent view of the Esplanade taken around 1900. In the centre of the photograph is Villa Marine, demolished in the early 1970's to make way for luxury flats.

Troon.

10. St. Meddans Street, 1909. St. Meddans Street, looking towards the sea. Little change in over eighty years, except that the gas lamps and iron railings have disappeared and milk is no langer delivered in barrels on a cart.

11. Bentinck Drive and Church Street around 1906. On the left is Mar Lodge Hotel. The name was taken to a new hotel in South Beach later on. As you see the St. Meddans Church has no clock, when it was built in 1888 till about 1926, when the church in the background was demolished and the clock removed to St. Meddans Church.

12. Dundonald Road looking west around 1929. On the right is Carrols Eplorium and Gordons grocers shop.

Be ntrnck Drive, Troon

13. Bentinck Drive looking north around 1906. It appears that a lot of building is going on as the road is still hard packed earth. The numbers 52, 67, 69 and Welbeek Hotel (now flats) are not yet built. The house on the right with the cross is 'Burnockside'.

roon

14. Milk ladies selling fresh milk from churns off her cart outside number 3 Bentinck Drive, around 1900.

Bentmek Drive. Troon

15. Bentinck Drive in 1909, when it was tree lined and houses had iron railings. The railings went towards the war effort 1939-1945 and the trees dissappeared in the 1950's, no doubt due to the increase of traffic.

16. Portland Street looking towards the sea in 1923. On the left was Whites Newsagent (now Menzies). Beyond is the 'Picture House' (now Woolworths). It was the first of Troons three picture houses to close in the early 1950's.

wEST PORTLAND STREET. TROON

17. West Portland Street from the shore end around 1930. At the centre left is the Beach Café, beyond is 'Kirkwoods' bakery, later a supermarket, now three shop units.

18. Troon Cross around 1924. Young lads with a horse and cart turn into Ayr Street. Note the policeman standing in the middle of the road.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek