Troon in old picture postcards

Troon in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Stewart C. Wyllie and James Wilson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4890-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Troon in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. Above: The Cross from West Portland Street (1909). The photographer has managed to have some of the loeals pose for him in the middle of the picture the railway bridge over Portland Street leading from Troon Railway Station to the harbour can be clearly seen. This bridge was removed in 1973 when the line fell into disuse.

Beneath: St. Meddans Church, built in 1888. This photograph taken in 1900 shows the congregation at that time had still not subscribed sufficient funds to install the clock on the spire. The postcard also shows in the bottom right hand corner of the picture the spire of the D.F. Church built in 1856, the present site of John Menzies and the post office. The building on the left hand of the picture was the Marr Lodge HoteL

Cross Roads, t.eans

70. Above: Troon 1910, a photograph of Templehill looking towards the Cross and Ayr Street. Tbere is little change in the shopping area to this date with the exception that the single storey building on the right hand side was replaced in the early 1930's by a picture house and in the late 1950's by a bowling alley and in the mid-1980's a chemist shop.

Beneath: Cross Raad Loans around 1930. The house on the left was known as the toll house, probably it was the site of the old toll at Loans. Behind the houses on the right can be seen 'Bennies' Greenhouses.

The Pierrots at Bellest Bank; Troon

71. 'Dad Lindsays Pierrots' performing at the south end of Ballast Bank in 1907 before the harbour scheme was built. Top left is the back of Welbeek Crescent and to the left is Portland Villa, now Miners Welfare Home.

72. Loans Village, Troon, around 1904. The blacksmith on the left is a Mr. Fullarton. The Fullartons were in business for many generations as blacksmiths in Loans. The shop is now a garage.

Barassze:

73. New Bank Barassie around 1900, later named Beach Road. The above houses on the north side of Bum were built around 1866. As you see there is no raad to the front of the houses. To the right is the old bank with 'the towers' at the far end.

74. Above: Burnfoot Farm and camp site at Barassie around 1930. On the share side of the farm is Burnfoot Tea Room. Burnfoot Farm was demolished in the 1950s to make way for a council estate which now covers the whole area shown.

Beneath: Little is known about this card posted in 1906. The caption says Volunteer Camp, Lochgreen (the dinner hour). There are men in uniform, one lady and children?

"Croon iSur9b iJ)ilitar'!? iSanll.

75. 'Troon Burgh Military Band' in the first quarter of this century.

T1:e Gyaws, Troon.

76. The Gyaws, Troon, 1900's. The Gyaws were situated on the old Troon Golf Course at the green keepers house on the site next to the Suncourt Hotel. This is an early postcard and it was a tradition in the early days for people to write on the front of the card.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek