Tynemouth in old picture postcards

Tynemouth in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Hollerton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3496-5
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Tynemouth in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

...

29. In 1909, following a number of deaths whilst bathing from the Long Sands, the Coroner urged the building of a swimming pooL A number of suggestions were made over the years, but plans for the Open Air Pool were not passed until1923. The poor structure ofthe rock at Sharpness Point delayed completion, but the baths were opened on 30th May 1925. As originally planned, there were no dressing rooms or other facilities provided, and the Council hired tents, which were erected on the terraces. The Open Air Pool was an immediate success, leading the Council to build the Pavilion, to the right, which opened on 2nd July 1927.

30. On 15th April 1907 , the wreek of a small sailing vessel came ashore at Sharpness Point. It was discovered to be the schooner 'Onward' , which had been drifting for nearly a month. Outward bound from Littleferry to Sunderland, with a cargo of timber, she had been caught in a gale on 17th March. The ship was making water fast when she fell in with the steam trawler 'Cleon' , which was on trials and making for Blyth. On the morning of the 18th they were off Blyth, with the tug 'Livingstone' in attendance, when 'Onward' turned turtle and had to be abandoned.

31. Early in 1919, the Secretary of the Local War Savings Committee received a letter offering the Borough a tank, in recognition oftheir efforts during the Great War. It was accepted, and a site prepared for it near the Grand Hotel, on Sharpness Point. A female tank, number 2663, newly returned from Flanders, arrived at Tynemouth Station on 21st June 1919. The crew drove it down Perey Park Road to the Grand Parade, where the aeeeptanee ceremony was held. The Town Clerk requested the addition of two eaptured field guns, and these trophies were despatehed in September, to stand alongside the tank. Seen at first as patriotic trophies, they came to be regarded as eyesores and were removed in 1923. The tank was sold for f20.

32. A tram is travelling along Percy Park Road, near the junction with Warkworth Terrace. The vehide in the picture belonged to the Tynemouth and District Electric Traction Company, whose trams ran between North Shields and Whitley Bay, from 1901 to 1931. The houses in the background were all to be known as Warkworth Terrace when the Duke of Northumberland was having the ground laid out for builders, in 1868. The terrace should have continued to the left, and around the far corner, but was not completed until fairly recently. When the picture was taken, the house to the left was occupied by J .A. Williamson, a founder member of the Percy Park Rugby Football Club.

33. Towards the end of the 18608, the Duke of Northumberland began plans for laying out the fields to the north of Tynemouth Village, for the building of terraces of new housing. The northernmost was Perey Park, taking its name from the family name of the Dukes of Northumberland. The first four houses were built at the seaward end of Perey Park, between 1868 and 1870, and the rest followed pieeemeal throughout the 1870s. The triangular ground between Percy Park and Perey Park Road was urged on the Council, by Tynemouth Recreation Association, as an alternative to Tynemouth Park. Exhibitions and entertainments were held there over the years, and between times the land was feneed off for grazing cattle.

34. Percy Park is Tynemouth's oldest surviving Rugby Union football club. One of the first four houses in Percy Park was occupied by John Stanley Mitcalfe, and his nephew, John Stanley Todd. Mister Todd was a keen sportsman, and soon set about forming a local rugby club. They first played on a field by Percy Park in 1872. The team played on a number of other fields in later years, one of which might have brought their long career to a premature end. The Cycling Track ground in North Shields was built over an old colliery, which collapsed, shortly after the end of a match in the 1880s. The team was photographed in 1881, outside the Volunteer Life Brigade Watch House. Seated at the front, with a handlebar moustache, is J. Stanley Todd.

35. The standards for the tram wires, every few yards along Percy Park Road, would have been quite a recent feature at the time the photograph was taken. The tramway ran on this route, from North Shields to the Grand Parade, in 1879. It began as a horse-tram, which was replaced by a company using small steam engines to pull the carriages. The firm was taken over in 1899 by British ElectricTraction, who set up alocal subsidiary and built an extended line, which opened in 1901. To the right is William R. Hughson's newsagent's shop, which he ran from the mid-1890s, to about 1910. T.O. Mawson, the chemist, had the corner shop.

36. One of the most luxurious hotels in the district, the Grand, opened at the northem end of Percy Gardens in the late 1870s. In its early days it sawa number of managers, but possibly the best-known locally was Thomas Tickle, He was associated with the hotel throughout the 1890s, and at one time ran both the Grand, and the Bath Hotel. He died in the Grand Hotel in 1900, whilst playing billiards with one of the Tynemouth Park pierrots. His widow continued as manageress for another decade. The photograph was probably taken early in the Great War, during which the building was occupied by troops. When they left, the hotel was in such a poor condition that it had to be completely refurbished. It did not re-open untill922.

Percy GardeIJs .

37. In 1868, the Duke of Northumberland's office produced ground plans for the building of terraces of large new houses on his Tynemouth estate, One of the showpieces of the development was to be a crescent of elegant homes overlooking the Short Sands and Tynemouth Priory. To emphasise its exclusive nature, it was to have a private road, and a railed communal garden on the seaward side. AIthough the ground plan was approved and laid out in the 1860s, the construction was left to individual owners and builders. Percy Gardens was erected in groups of one to four houses throughout the 18708, and was still unfinished by the end of the decade.

38. No provision was made in the plans to give gardens to the houses in Perey Gardens. Instead, the smalI park on the cliff road was to be held in eommon by all the residents. By the time some dozen or more families were in oeeupation, it was decided to employ a gardener , and to this end applieation was made to the local Council for permission to build a lodge close to the southern gate. The plans were approved in April 1872. Surrounding the gardens are the original railings, which were removed as part of a salvage drive during the Seeond World War. Someone has drawn on the original photograph the extent of the damage to the road in the landslip of 1913.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek