Tynemouth in old picture postcards

Tynemouth in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Eric Hollerton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3496-5
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Tynemouth in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

59. One preserved stone in the Priory grounds was brought from a nearby farm in 1936. The Monk's Stone, so the legend has it, marked the boundary of the ecclesiastical lands, beyond which all were safe from civil authority. One day, a monk from the Priory went to beg food at Earl Delaval's hall. Being refused, he stole a pig's head, roasting for the lord's supper. When Earl Delaval found out, he pursued the monk, overtaking him at the stone marker. This notwithstanding, he beat the monk so severely that he died within a year and a day. As penance he gave up his manor of Elswiek to the Priory. On the stone was carved the line: '0 horor, to kill a man for a pigge's hede.'

60. Captain Casimir Thomas Gomoszynski, in everyday life the Tynemouth Borough Surveyor, was also a member of Tynemouth Artillery Volunteers. In 1859, at a time when war with Napoleon 111 was feared, Tynemouth set up the first Volunteer Artillery Corps, a fact of which the local people were very proud. By 1880 they were six batteries strong, and the senior Volunteer Corps on the Army List. Proposals to amalgamate them with a Newcastle Corps provoked popular indignation, and following petitions to the Secretary of State for War, they retained their position. The Volunteers became Tynemouth Royal Garrison Artillery, as part ofthe Territorial Army, in 1907, and disbanded in 1959.

61. The lawns now surrounding the Priory give little hint of the extent to which the military authorities took over the grounds. To the left are the barracks, storerooms and hospital, together with the lighthouse, built in 1775. An earlier tower on the site used stone from the monastery buildings. Towards the turn of the century the light was replaced by others at St. Mary's Island and the North Pier. To the right is the large magazine mound, for which the cloister buildings were destroyed between 1863 and 1865. In the distance is the North Pier, which was begun in the middle of the nineteenth century, but not completed by the time the photograph was taken, towards the end of the century.

The Blad. Middens, North. Shields

62. For centuries the Tyne was a treacherous river to enter. Strong currents along the coast and a narrow, winding entrance to the harbour, brought many ships to grief. Even in the days of steam, ships were lost on the Black Middens rocks, on the north bank of the Tyne, or on the Herd Sands to the south. When the Tyne Improvement Commission was set up in 1850, one of its priorities was the creation of a harbour of refuge at the mouth of the river. This was a massive engineering project for its time, and took over fifty years to complete.

63. Shortly after ten o'clock on 20th October 1894, a ship was sighted labouring off the harbour entrance. She was the brigantine 'Fame', of Drogheda, on passage from Llanelly to West Hartlepooi carrying bumt ore. Ahuge sea washed her behind the North Pier, where she was trapped by the waves. The Volunteer Life Brigade, finding themselves unable to surnmon help, prepared to rescue the crew alone. As soon as the ship grounded, they fired roeket lines over her, one catching in the mainmast and setting it alight. Within fifteen minutes all the crew of six were rescued by breeches buoy.

---

? El

-=:.'=.:: --

64. 'Rupert', a Faversham brigantine, under the command of Captain Burdon, was sailing trom Sunderland to Ramsgate when she was forced to run before a hurricane trom the safety of Shields Harbour. On Christmas Eve 1895, she was seen off Souter Point light, down at the steru with water in the hold. At Shields Bar she tumed broadside on to the gale, and began to suffer damage. Whilst apparently trying to run into the Haven, she was swept onto the Black Middens and dismasted. The crew, who had taken to the rigging, were all lost in a few minutes, and the vessel quickly broke up.

65. As originally conceived, both the North and South Piers, at the mouth of the Tyne, were to be curved. A Govemment grant led the Tyne Improvement Commissioners to carry the piers out to thirty feet of water. The contract was let in 1855, but in 1862, following disputes with the contractor, the Commissioners took over the works for themselves. Even with the advice of their own engineer, and that of others, the piers extended seawards very slowly. The finishing touches were being put to the North Pier in 1895, when the photograph was taken from Prior's Haven. A small commercial jetty is seen to the right, below Spanish Battery.

66. Early in its life, the half-mile length of the North Pier became an important tourist attraction. Promenading the upper deck, in particular, was very popular at the turn of the century. It was, perhaps, inevitable that such a potential market should attract the attention of the river's ferry and pleasure boat operators. Trippers were offered the choice of cruises along the Northumbrian coast or journies up the river, to Newcastle. When the photograph was taken, work was under way in the background removing the end of the pier.

\, V / s- y. - /? ~ I HALF HOUR SAILINGS 1

dJ'I!7e /~ ~ ~ v~, , FROM QUAYSIDE.

~ __ 'F'ARES { 60. SINGLE.

U ~ r-/::-~ .dloo.- I 90. RETURN.

/~ ."....-~ V/~-, "---

67. The Tyne General Ferry Company was given to issuing postcards illustrating the views on the River Tyne, and advertising its own services. Beginning as the Tyne Passenger Boat Service in 1859, they became the Tyne General Ferry Company in 1862. Over the years they had twenty-one boats, operating a zig-zag route along the river, between Newcastle Quayside and Tynemouth North Pier. In addition, their vessel 'Siren' toured the North-East coast. The company took its main revenue from the carriage of workmen to the shipyards and factories. As local tram services grew, the ferries could not compete, and the company went out of business in 1908.

68. Whilst not unprecedented, the building of the harbour of refuge for the Tyne was a huge task in its day. The work was bedevilled by delays and upsets caused by lack of knowledge as to how materials might behave in these conditions. In 1867 a quantity of the rubble foundation was pulled out of the pier by the sea. From the winter of 1893 many of the concrete blocks were found to be moving. The sinking of the ship 'Roxana', loaded with concrete, in 1896, failed to give sufficient proteetion to the pier, which began to break up in the winter of 1897.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek