Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 1

Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Dr. Allan Miller
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6226-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9 The Parish Church box pews, which were reserved for specified families or groups, presented problems for the clergy; in 1930 Reverend Ivo Keown-Boyd wrote in the Parish Magazine: 'It would be a great help and advantage if pew holders would kindly pay the rent for the pew they occupy as early as possible,' During the previous half century there had been alterations and improvements to the interior of the Church. The pulpit was erected in 1882. In 1902 Mr. Ballantine, the celebrared Edinburgh artist who had earlier designed the 'Bankes' and 'Mary' windows, was cornmissioned to produce the 'Morris' window. Two years later the 'Daglish'

windows in the Chancery, the work of Mr. Holiday of Hampstead, were completed. In 1 9 1 1 the Wheeton family financed a stained glass window on the north side of the Church; it was designed by Wood and Hughes, who did work for Queen Victoria, and it was a reproduetion of one in the marbie church at Boddlwyddan in North Wales.

1 0 The Church of England built a new vicarage in 1902 on a splendid new site in College Raad. The vicarage grounds were aften used for garden parties. bazaars and fĂȘtes to raise money for the Church, the schools and other worthy causes. American tea parties were especially popular. Those attending paid 6d for admission, brought an artiele with them worth at least 6d to be sold and bought same item to the value of at least 6d befare leaving. Similar fund raising events, which were highlights in the social calendar, were organised by other prominent families in the village - the Hunts atThe

Abbey, the Shirlaws at Hall Green and the Wilcocks at Sea View.

11 The first occupant of the new vicarage was Reverend George Wills, Vicar of Up Holland from 1888 until his death in 1927. Despite the Church's financial problems, Reverend Wills worked hard to keep his congregation and to maintain the fabric of the fine old Church. He was a keen sportsman, He set up a cricket club for the young men of the village to enjoy

the 'noble national game'. He also formed a cycling club. Reverend Wills travelled extensively in England, Scotland and Wales, and even ventured abroad. He served as a district councillor and during the First World War he encouraged bath men and wamen of Up Holland to participate in

the 'religious crusade' against the 'Gerrnan Despot's lust for World Empire'. He urged men to enlist in the armed farces and wamen to join the Up Holland Branch of the Comfort Section of the Red

Cross Society. In his obituary, The Times newspaper described Reverend Wills as 'lovably opinionated and tyrannical' .

12 Up Holland has a long Methodist tradition. The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in School Lane dated back to

1 849, whilst the Crawford Primitive Methodists celebrated their 18th Sunday School anniversary in 1880, when 142 scholars and teachers walked through the hamlet. At the third anniversary of the Primitive Methodist Chapel at Hall Green in 1894 it was decided that the place of worship, formerly a brewery, was toa small and a building scheme was launched. The 'Chapel' was not only a place of worship, but also a centre oflearning and social activities, Two hundred villagers attended the annual tea party on Christmas Day at the Wes-

leyan Methodist Sunday School enjoying hymns, recitations and dialogues on the theme of 'Honesty Rewarded'. Field treats, parties. talks and lectures on such topics as 'Sir Rowland HiJ] and the

Penny Post' and 'The History of the Bible' attracted large numbers in the 1880s.

13 Methodism was generally assoeiated with the temperanee movement. The Wesleyan Methodist Band of Hope meeting in May 1880 was addressed on the evil and misery associated with 'King Alcohol'. The Up Holland Total Temperanee Brass Band provided appropriate musie and it was claimed that 116 villagers had signed the pledge not to drink. The Methodists were joined by

the Church of England in the mission 'to free the souls and bodies of brothers and sisters from slavery and drink'. In 1909 ReverendWills,Anglican Vicar of Up Holland, urged parishioners to abstain from all intoxieating liquors or to do all in their power to

help forward the cause of temperanee and to be temperate themselves or to take a special pledge such as to keep out of public houses.

14 In 1877 Bishop O'Reilly of Liverpool obtained support for the establishment of a Diocesan Seminary to train clergy to support the rapidly increasing numbers of Roman Catholics on Merseyside. Clergy and laity contributed ;(34,000 to the project. The search for a suitable site proved difficult, but eventually 1 50 acres ofWalthew or Rough Park Farm in Up Holland were purchased for f,8,000. [ames O'Byrne, the architect of St. Ioseph's College, designed a building facing east across the valley of the River Douglas with 'the clear lines of a late Tudor collegiate establishment'. Several thousand people watched the blessing of the foundation

stone on 18 April 1880 - 'a red letter day in the Roman Catholic history. ,. and one that will probably leave its mark in the generations yet to come'. On 22 September 1883 the Rector, Canon Tee-

bay; and his four professors received the first thirty-one students into the College.

15 The early history of St. Ioseph's College was chequered. By 1914,250 students had been ordained to the priesthood but the Seminary was closed during the First World War because of the shortage of students. However, by 1930, it had become not only the training centre of the Liverpool diocese, but

also 'a catholic university' serving the north of England. It had 250 students from all parts of the north with the first ordinations since it reopened as a Seminary in

1924. This 'splendid seat of learning' was served by professors who had 'a cosmopolitan education' and was one of the best equipped Catholic colleges in the country. It pos-

sessed 'remarkable facilities' for the study of theology and other subjects and it housed 'collections of valuable books, plate, starutary and paintings'. With the consecradon of the new chapel in 1930 the Col-

lege attained an 'admirable archi tectural' status.

UPHOLLAND COLLEGE

16 The Convent in College Raad was opened in 1 9 1 7 by Archbishop Whiteside as a 'power house' for St. Ioseph's College. Originally the French Carmelite nuns had settled at Orrell Mount, two miles from Up Holland. The staff of Up Holland Seminary, who acted as Chaplains to the Convent, had to make the journey on foot or by bicycle. When the lease on Orrell Mount ended, the nuns moved to the new hillside site in Up Holland with magnificent views of the countryside. For a decade the French nuns were happy in Up Holland, but they returned to Carcassonne on 11 May 1927. On the following day, Mother Mary of [esus, who founded over thirty Car-

mels in England, arrived to start the revival of the Nunnery in Up Holland, which continues its work to this day.

17 Mr. ]oseph McVitie Thompson was a well-known and respected figure in Up Holland. Bom without legs, he moved about using crutches and a rocker-like stool to which he was strapped. He was a Methodist local preacher and Sunday School teacher. Fram his home in School Lane Mr. Thomspon traded as a printer, stationer, bookbinder and fancy goods dealer selling bibles. hymn and prayer hooks, birthday and wedding presents, patent medicines, postcards, toys, pens, tobaceo, eigarettes, faney and plain ehocolates 'by best makers'. During the 1920s his commercial activities included the hire of taxis, furniture remaval vans and

charabancs. He arranged trips for churches, schools, choirs and sports teams to any part of the country

18 This portrait is of George Lyon, Up Hollaud's most infarnous inhabitant, Lyon was a labourer and handloom weaver but he was also a highwayman, who was transported to Africa for seven years as punishment for his crimes. On his return to England he continued his notorious way oflife.A contemporary wrote that in two houses near together in Up Holland 'there have been in each, a mother and daughter lyingin, nearly at the same time; and one man (the notorious George Lyon) reputed to be father of all tour'. The 'King of the Robbers' and his 'desperate gang' continued to terrorise the area until they were caught, brought to trial for

burglary and hanged at Lancaster on 22 April 1 81 5.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek