Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 1

Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Dr. Allan Miller
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6226-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39 In 1930 the Parish Church purchased Up Holland Gardens, house and grounds. The site was acquired partly to serve as a buffer to the churchyard; for many years people had cornplained that the churchyard had become a playground for village youngsters. Open-air services, meetings and whist drives were sometimes held in the Gardens. In 1890 the house at the bottom of the churchyard was converred into a reading room each evening and functioned as a circulating library onee a week with books, magazines and newspapers available to the young men of the parish. In front of a warm fire they eould play draughts, ehess,

domino es and bagatelle. Sewing classes for young wamen were also held there.

40 The economie history of Up Holland was dominared by agriculture. In 1 880 there were about seventy farms in Up Holland and surrounding hamlets. Because the subsoil was for the 'most part sand, shelly rock and sandstone' the main crops were wheat, oats and potatoes. In addition to arabie farming, most farmers grew hay and kept milking cows whilst others reared poultry for eggs. Same farmers engaged in other commercial actlvities. Thomas Ashcroft was described as a farmer, co al dealer and waggonette proprietor in 1900. Before the First World War Johnson Swales of Holland

House in Lafford Lane was a farmer and cattIe transporter and he had livery stables; he hired horses and carriages and offered riding and driving lessens. Traditionally, work on Up Holland farms

was done by harses and human hands; the first tractor was introduced in 1918.

41 Agriculture was also the basis of other allled occupations such as butchers, saddlers, wheelwrights, boot, shoe and clog makers and repairers. William Gerrard and Son, farriers and general blacksmiths, shod harses 'under the latest veterinary principle'. Agriculture also made important contributions to Up Holland's social history. Until the First World War

? dole' bread, paid for by the rents ofWelcross Farm, was distributed to the paar after evensong at the Parish Church. Leisure activities were aften conneered with farming ploughing matches and pig and horse shows. The Prim-

rose and Technical Horticultural Society held its first annual show in the pavilion of the Abbey Lakes Hotel in IS 9 5. lts aim was to promote and encourage the cultivation of flowers, fruit and vegetables.

Over four hundred people attended and were entertained by the Up Holland Brass Band.

42 The village made full use of its natura] water and wind resources. [ohnson Swales and Herbert Marsh were com millers and merchants with water mills utilizing the Dean Braok at Abbey Lakes and in Dean Wood. During the

1880s there was a dispute in Roby Mill as praduction at

the corn mill was reduced, when water was diverted for use at St. [oseph's College and the level of the stream dropped dramatically. In

Mill Lane a windmill historically enjoyed the advantages of its location on the high ridge running up to Ashurst Beacon and facing the prevailing westerly winds to turn its sails. Sometimes the winds were too strong and

the sails were blown off. In 1930 the Up Holland District Council approached theAncient Buildings Preservation Society for help in the conservation of the windmill, which has remained a prominent and notable landmark.

43 Coal was extracted in Up Holland for centuries. As the demand for coal increased during the Industrial Revolution 'bell' pits and drift mines - 'day eyes' - were replaced by shaft mines. Crawford Colliery, sunk to extract a rich

7 - feet seam of coal, was the largest pit in Up Holland. In 1896 White Moss Company installed a new engine at Holland Colliery and this gave Crawford a new lease of life, Instead ofbeing 'a deserted, desolate looking place' it began to show signs of 'returning prosperiry'. But coal aften brought personal tragedies deaths, injuries and unemployment. In 1930 more than three hundred miners and colliery workers were made

redundant by the closure of the Pimbo Lane Mountain Mine Colliery because of the depressed state of the coal trade.

44 Quarrying for stone was a traditional economie activity in Up Holland. The presence of Rough Park Quarry yielding excellent building stone was a major factor in the choice oflocation for the Roman Catholic Diocesan College at Up Holland in 1880. Crow Lane Quarry extended underground with a steeply sloping tunnelleading to subterranean caverns. In the 1880s Grimshaw Quarries were advertising all kinds of stone for building and highway purposes - paving setts, kerbs and channels from 'the best white millstone grit' and flint for macadamizing, flags, palings, steps, heads and sills. In 1930 Stoney Brow Quarries invested in new ma-

chinery for crushing and screening, capable of turning out 120 tons a day and creating additional employmem for 'stone getters' and labeurers.

45 Brick making was an important local industry with Laithwaite's Fire, Stone, Brick and Sanitary Pipe Works (later Lawns Brick and Terra Cotta Company) at Tontine, the Up Holland Brick and Tile (later Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe and Brick Company) in Chequer Lane, and the Pimbo Lane Brick and Tile Company. The first two sites alone produced 100,000 bricks each week in 1900. Up Holland was endowed with the raw materials for brick production - natural shales, fireday and coal. The shales were crushed into clay, which was baked for two to three weeks in brick kilns. The characteristics of the local clay and shales produced distinctive yellow, red and blue

bricks. In addition to bricks, Ravenhead's produets in 1927 induded vases, urns, sundial pedestals and pig troughs.

46 The monument was erected to 'the grateful remembranee ofthe 103 Up Holland men who gave themselves for God and country' in the First World War. Many Up Holland soldiers were honoured for gallant conduct during the war and the narnes ofthose who died were entered on a roll ofhonour inscribed with the words: 'Greater love hath na man than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends.' After the war an appeal was made for funds to erect a lasting mernortal. The monument was eventually unveiled in 192 6 and the people of Up Holland were asked to make the site a 'Sanctuary or Holy Place' and to do all in their

power to encourage reverent behaviour near the memorial.

47 Ashton's café was a popular resting place for locals and for visitors to Up Holland en route for local beauty spots via the War Monument. Travellers were generally well provided for in Up Holland. In addition to its pubs, refreshments were widely available. In the 1890s, Leas at 5 Parliament Street and 2 Back Brow provided teas from their bakery, where bread, currant and seed cakes, buns and teacakes were available daily. In the early 20th century Mrs. Gaskell was the proprietor of refreshment rooms at 8 Parliament Street. Across the road Guselli ]oseph was well known as an ice cream ven-

dor and chocolate maker in his refreshment rooms. Nicholsons of Dean Brook Farm carered for visitors to Abbey Lakes opposite. Also at theAbbey Lakes tram terminus, [ames Anders, a musical

instrument dealer, sold sweets and confectionery and catered for parties 'in a general way'.

48 The promenade in Grove Raad past the entrance to the Grove Laundry, before the trees were felled and the road widened, was popular with walkers heading for Ashurst Beacon or Dean Wood or Ashton's café in the distance. However, the usual calm was shattered one night in Iune 1930 bya charabanc party of thirty men from Liverpool. After visits to most of the public houses in Up Holland, the excess of alcohol led to the inevitable fighting and hooliganism in Grove Raad. The local police had to escort the group to prison cells in Wigan where fifteen were charged. But this was an isolated occurrence in an etherwise pleasant and popular

area. The Grove was used regularly for Sunday School field treats which included sports, dancing, donkey riding and 'all manner ofharmless arnusements' .

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek