Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 1

Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Dr. Allan Miller
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6226-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49 During the 1880s Grove House was the home of the Balderstones, a merehant family from Liverpool. Reverend E.A. Ingham, the Assistant Curate of Up Holland Parish Chureh, lived there between 1894 and 1901. By the early 20th eenturyThe Grove was a laundry, with Frederick Grundy as the proprietor and Mrs. Grundy as the manager. An advertisement for the 'Economie Laundry' stated that it used the most up to date equipment and guaranteed beautiful colour, excellent finish, punetual and correct return. No chemieals were utilised and the drying was done in the open air. In

1 926 the manager, Perey Ogle, claimed the shirt and

collar dressers did the 'best work' at the 'Iowest prices'.

5 0 The Baxter family played a key role in the commercial, social and politicallife of Up Holland. Originally clog makers, by 1880 they had a thriving grocery and wine business at 2-4 Parliament Street. All twelve children were born at that address, which was extended before the family moved to a larger house, The Brooklands, also in Parliament Street. The Baxter family suffered personal tragedies dming the First World War. Maurice was gassed, Osmond was badly wounded whilst Clive and Arnold were killed. Arnold died 'doing his duty ... when he was hit through the head and fell without a mmmm'. Their large store with several departments

served the village until the 195 Os. Family members were active in sports and served the community in local government.

5 1 Brooklands House is in the foreground with its three impressive gables and 'transomed and mullioned windows facing the road'. Beyond the house is Dean Wood golf course. In addition to regular in-house cernpentions and tournaments played by the members, Dean Wood GolfClub sometimes organised extraordinary events. In August 1930, despite wet weather, two hundred members turned out to watch a special tonr-ball challenge match played between four professional golfers. In the afternoon, the four professionals went round again, aiming to lower the course record which had stood at 66 shots since 1928. Despite the

heavy conditions, the unfamiliarity of the course and a 6 at the third hole, Mr. Isherwood managed to return a round of 64 strokes to create a new record.

52 Lower Parhament Street was dominared by Baxter's store with its distinctive tower and unique range of goods including drapery, beds, bedding, millinery, suits, boots, shoes, clogs, ironmongery, tools, paint, wallpaper, carpets, spades, glass, china, carpet sweepers, dust bins, stoves, chairs, mangles, wringers, attaché cases, flour, tinned fruit, butter, cheese, ham, bacon, coffee and 'good flavoured tea to suit the local water'. There were other shops in this block. In 1905 Miss Gaskell sold linen goods and was an agent for 'Pullar's Dye Works'. During the 1920s Ashcroft's shop (formerly Gaskell's) sold foor-

we ar, millinery, tobacco, sta-

tionery and newspapers. Mr. Stephens was a hairdresser and tobacconist. Mrs. Gaskell was a high-class confectioner. Further down the hill in 'Parliament House' was the beer shop which stocked eider,

champagne, wines, spirits, minerals, ginger ales, bottled ale and stout.

53 The Gaskell family made clogs for about a hundred years. Their shop at 12 Parliament Street sold all kinds of clogs, shoes and slippers with 'hand sewn boots made to measure'. In 1921 Webster's store stressed that its boots and clogs featured 'best materials, guaranteed werkmanship and reasonable prices' . A decade later MeAndrew's shop in Parliament Street offered 'all kinds of plain and fancy clogs made to order'. Despite the tradition of clogs there was a stigma attached to wearing them. In 1883 Reverend Cremer appea1ed to villagers not to stay away from church 'for lack of boots' because they would be 'every bit as welcome in clogs'. He con-

cluded: 'Can anything look neater than a nicely cleaned pair of clogs?'

54 Village physicians such as Dr. Brown from Higher Lane and Dr. Shirlaw at Hall Green usually pres cri bed and made up medication for their patients themselves. However, increasingly after William Bryan established his chemist shop in Parliament Street in 1931, prescriptions were dispensed by the chemist rather than the medics. Before the opening of Mr. Bryans business the villagers of ter used traditional cures and patent remedies rather than doctors' medicines. An advertisement in a 19th century Parish Church Magazine indicated that village grocer Mr. Walker was the agent for 'Phillip's Balsam of Honey, Airey's

Soothing Syrup, Elixir of Tamarinds and Senega, Nursery Hair Oil, Glycerine and Lime Cream' . Others preferred natural health foods; in the 1890s Counsell Brothers of Wigan made van deliveries to

Up Holland of 'brown bread recommended by the Medical Faculty'.

SSThere were dangers on the roads even in the days of horse-drawn traffic, especially on the steep, narrow cobbled stoned Parhament Street. In 1880 a man was found asleep whilst in charge ofhis horse and cart in Up Holland and 'consequently being incapable of controlling the same'. In the same year an inquest was held at the Star Inn, Roby Mill, on the death of a five year old girl. A group of girls had been returning home from school, skipping and jumping on and off the pavement into the road, when one little girl was hit from behind by a horse drawing a cart. "The horse struck her and knocked her down ... the wheel of the vehiele came

into violent contact with her head, literally dashing out her brains.'

56 The derelict property bebind the gaslight and signpost was used for flour milling; loads of corn and flour were loaded and unloaded through the first floor doors. There was also a plumbing, painting and decorating business in the same stretch of Church Street. The semi-circular building opposite, erected in 1852, was variously a private residence, the Wigan and District Cooperative store and Clayton's colliery and mill fumisbing store. An advertisement in the Parish Church Magazine for 1886 indicated its varied stock which included ironmongery, tools, cutlery, spades, picks, shovels, buckets, wire netting, nails, roofing felt, lamps,

farmers' implements, kitchen ranges, grates, boilers, paints, coffin furniture, oil, screws, balts, washers, wire and kettles.

57 [ohn Mills, nicknamed 'Owd Dolly', was Up Hollaud's first lamplighter. The lamplighter toured the village each day activating and extinguishing the gas street lights. The gas supplied by Wigan Corporation was aften unsatisfactory. Reverend Wills, Vicar of Up Holland Parish Church, complained on several occasions that he was unable to re ad his sermon notes in the pulpit because of the poor quality of the gaslight. As aresult the Church investigated the feasibility of installing its own air gas plant, which had advantages over the more traditional coal gas; air gas gave purer light, was not poisonous and was nonexplosive. However, the real

impravements to Church lighting were not to occur until the installation of electricity in 1 92 9 .

58 In 1880 the Up Holland Local Board admitted that there were 'no roads in the country like the Up Holland roads for being rough' and Stairey Brow opposite the bank in Church Street rising to Alma Hill was particularly difficult, The area was historically a centre for two domestie industries: nail making and handloom weaving. On this steep slope could be found [ohnson's fish and chip restaurant, Tennaru's haircutting and shaving salon and Robert Glover's general provisions shop. On Saturday mornings Thomas Bullock, from 'The Musical Box' in Wigan, visitedAlma House fur-

ther up the hill to give musie les sans - 'organ, piano, violin, harmony and sin ging' .

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek