Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 1

Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Dr. Allan Miller
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6226-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59 During the 1880s Up Holland post office was on Back Brow facing Stairey Brow. Thomas and William Hartley were the postmasters, combining their duties with those ofnewsagents and stationers. Letters arrived from Wigan at 7.35 a.m. and 4.20 p.m. and were despatched from Up Holland at 5.4 5 p.m. During the 1890s the carriers to Wigan were Iohn Holland and HenryWard; later the village carrier was William Fairclough. In the 192 Os Iohn Tinsley, a taxi proprietor in Parliament Street, was the postmaster and me sub-post office included a manuallyoperated telephone exchange. When Mr. Tinsley retired the village post office was trans-

ferred to Mr. Maurice Wright, a few doors away in Parliament Street.

60 The workman was demalishing the Legs of Man public house and the adjacent corn warehouse at the top of School Lane where it met Church Streel. The Legs of Man had been an active pub; in 1886 it hosted an almanac show to which over three hundred visitors came to see the 260 almanacs being exhibited. lts fortunes declined in the first decade of the 20th century, partly because it was one of seven pubs within 100 yards competing for trade. The police pushed for the dosure ofthe Legs of Man because of its paar sanitary conditions and bad management. 'We can make nothing of the present tenant - he's a duffer.' In 1908 it ceased trading and

became a private residence until its demolition.

61 Prominent at the top of School Lane was the Eagle and Child public house. The names of public houses like the Legs of Man and Eagle and Child were associated with the Earls of Derby who were Lords of the Manor of Up Holland and so inf1uential in the history of Up Holland and the area. The records of the Eagle and Child for 1912 indicated samething of the drinking habits of villagers:

aId peg: 10 0z barrels; XX 82 barrels; XXX 61 barrels; bitter and stout

14!4 barrels; bottled beer 574 dozen; spirits 163 gallons; wine 17 0z gallons;minerals 728 dozen. The Eagle and Child had plans to expand by taking over Brown's butcher's shop next door and the cellar underneath which

was used as a barber's shop. However, it was closed in 1913 because of its dilaprdated condition and because it had the least accorrnnodation of any pub in the area, having na beds or stabling facilities.

62 The old Court House in School Lane, now a private residence, was constructed in the 17th century and the arms and crests of the Derby family were built into the front and rear walls of the building. Village crimes ranged from the trivial to the very serious. In 1880 a labourer was caught stealing from Walker's shop, 'a bulky substance under this coat'. A father and son were taken to court for torturing two dogs by indting them to fight. Four men were convited of 'trespassing in search of game' on land belanging to the Earl of Latham. Three labourers were convicted of a savage assault on a gamekeeper. 'One of them taak up a

coping stone from the wall and smashed it on his head ... They kept purring (kicking) hirn and .. struck hirn on the neck:

63 The Bull's Head public house in School Lane was an old coaching establishment which still had stabling facilities for four horses when it was closed in 1913 because it needed 'beautifying'. It became a private residence and was the childhood home of the comedian Ted Ray. The Owl Inn, in the forefront of the picture, had a long history. In 1882 a burglar, caught in the act by police constable Gorman. atternpted to cut his own throat to avoid capture. In 1885 the inn was closed when the tenant, accused of breaking the terms ofhis licence, fled the country. In the same year the Owl was taken

over by Magee Marshall when they purchased all the property of the Wigan Brewery.

64 On the left of the picture looking down School Lane was Bushtori's store, formerly Swales and Company. The Swales family had been local millers since the 18th century and their family shop provided groceries, provisions, bread, fleur, home-cured hams and bacon, blended teas, butter and cane sugar. There was also a drapery department and a separate room for millinery and fancy

goods. In 1900 the store was taken over by 0 and G Rushton Limited. They marketed themselves as 'groceries and provision men' emphasizing their prices, quality and service. Their speelallties included jams made from real fruit

boiled in silver pots. They also paid a dividend to their custorners.

65 Meat purveyors were concentrared in School Lane. WH. Baxter traded at 50 School Lane and was noted for prime Enghsh beef and mutton and lamb, pork and sausages 'in seasori'. On the other side of the raad, Wilham Brown, wholesale and retail butcher, offered piekled tongues and corned beef as speciahties. During the First World War villagers were encouraged to 'register' with Mrs. Clayton of 57 School Lane to 'ensure supplies and quality' of beef and meat products. By the 1920s Clayton's claimed to be 'unsurpassed for quality in prime Enghsh beef, park, mutton

and lamb, sausages, brawn and home-cured bacon (when in season)".

66 The area at the bottom of School Lane was occupied by [ohn Holland and Sans, joiners and wheelwrights, who sold shop and office fittings, church and school furniture, coffins and wringing machine rollers. Hollands were also builders, undertaking property repairs and alterations. Edward Ball and Jonathan Chadwick built coaches in the old grammar school building at the rear of the terrace. They supplied omnibuses and wagonettes to [ohn Baxter of School Larie, who operated a service to and from Wigan everyday: In the 1920s Chadwick and Ball built, repaired and painted coaches and motor bodies.

Robert Ashcroft, a cabinet maker, also had his workshop on this si te.

67 In 1863 the school building in School Lane was officially divided; the Lower School became independent from the Upper School. When increased student numbers put intolerable pressure on the building, a new elementary school for Anglicans was built opposite the Parish Church with William Bamforth as Headmaster. After his death, he was succeeded as Head by his son, William, and later by grandson, Geoffrey Charles Bamforth. The school had to evereome early setbacks; in 1 887 a severe epidemie of measles 'interfered very seriously with the work of the school'. In 1 889 the school inspeetors reported that some pupils were 'a little

noisy and require watching very dosely to prevent talking and copying'. But by 1895 government inspeetors dedared that results at the school' cannot be bettered' .

68 Anglican girls and infants were instructed at the Church school in Higher Lane. The girls were 'well disciplined' and usually 'passed a very satisfactary examination' in the elernentary subjects; needlewark was generally fair but 'the sewing on of strings and gathering' was same times badly done. Performance in tests was aften affected by paar artendance; in 1892 there were 150 pupils on the register, but the average attendance was only 105. In a farming village like Up Holland, attendance was always low during peak periods, because children were required to help in the fields at harvest and potato picking seasons. Girls in particular

were aften kept away from school to look after siek relatives or to help with washing ar cooking.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek