Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 2

Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Dr. Allan Miller
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-0954-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9 This drawing illustrates the narrow passages in Up Holland, which were the means by which George Lyon and his accomplices, Bennett and Houghton, 'for several years committed the most daring of depredations, and eluded the vigilance of the neighbouring police'. Lyon's life of crime stretched back to his youth; in 1786, aged 25, he was found guilty of feloniously panelling Robert Smith in the King's Highway at the Parish of Wigan and robbing him of Sixteen Shillings', for which he was sentenced to be transported for seven years. The criminal activities of George Lyon and his ' desperate gang' reached a climax in 1814. The neighbourhood had been 'infested with a body of thieves' for months, scarcely a week went by without a burglary. Lyon was the chief suspect and boasted that the rope had not been 'twirl' that would fit his neck.

10 The Bull' s Head inn in School Lane was where the overconfident George Lyon made mistakes that led to his arrest. In 1814 Westwood House in Ince was robbed; the local constable suspected Lyon and his gang and employed John Macdonald, a 'thief raker' used by the Manchester force, to trap them. Macdonald succeeded in gaining Lyon's confidence by persuading him that he was a dealer in stolen goods. John Baxter, landlord of the Bull's Head, gave evidence that the two had met at his pub and that Lyon had boasted he was 'King of the Robbers'. When Lyon exchanged property stolen from Westwood House for Macdonald's marked bank notes the game was up! At the trial at Lancaster in April 1815, Lyon faced no less than eleven indoctrinates for different robberies and burglaries. The guilty verdict was inevitable and the sentence predictable.

11 On Saturday 22 April 1815 George Lyon, David Bennett and Wilham Houghton were hanged; that 'awful sentence of the law' being carried out' on the drop behind the Castle of Lancaster'. Simon Washington, landlord of the Old Dog inn, transported Lyon's body to Up Holland; he described it as a traumatic journey because 'the Devil had been with him all the way'. Lyon was buried at the Parish Church 'amidst a concourse of several thousand spectators'. In the early years of the 20th century, Rev. G. F. Wills commented on the steady stream of visitors to Up Holland Parish Churchyard in search of Lyon's grave: 'No shrine or Saint or Martyr could be more eagerly sought than the plain flat stone which does not even bear the name of the man, whose fame seems so altogether out of proportion to his deserts. or even to his eminence as a criminal.'

12 Rev. John Bird, Incumbent at Up Holland Parish Church and teacher, married one of the daughters of Rev. John Braithwaite from The Abbey. During the 1820sThe Parsonage was revitalised by Rev. Bird and by the 1 840s it was the centre for a group of middle class families whose activities were recorded in diaries kept by Rev. Bird?s sister, Mary, later Mrs. Mary Stopford of Bank Top in Roby Mill Her diaries give a fascinating insight into the social, economic, religious and domestic life of 'Up Holland in the Hungry Parties' . Other families in this circle included the Andertons at The Grove, the Gaskells of Ox House, Dr. and Mrs. Morris from Rock House, the Lythgoes from Holland Cottage and the Holmes of Orrell Hall. There were also contacts with 'strangers' from Southport, Liverpool, Nottingham and Sheffield.

13 The reform of local government in the 19th century led to the establishment of the Up Holland Local Board, which held its first meeting at the Girls' School in Higher Lane on 19 October 1872. Under its Chairman, James Atherton, the Board resolved to appoint a Clerk at a salary of f20 a year, and a Surveyor, an Inspector of Nuisances and a Collector each at a salary of f75 per annum. For its second meeting the Local Board moved to Alma Hill, the premises rented from St. Helens brewers, Green all, Whitley and Company. The Up Holland Urban District Council came into existence in 1894 with Joseph Basnet as Clerk, a position to be filled in 1902 by Archie Hunt. The Alma Hill site continued to be used, but there were constant complaints about the structural condition of the building and new premises were regularly sought.

14 During the 1920s and 1930s there were proposals to convert the Conservative Club and later the Vicarage into a town hall for Up Holland. However, it was not until after the Second World War that Up Holland Urban District Council moved to its favoured location at Hall Green House with its offices, bowling green and tennis court all on the same site. Until then the local government of Up Holland continued to be conducted from the Alma Hill Council Offices. The Local Board and the Urban District Council were involved in improvements to roads, houses, lighting, health, education, employment and environment. They were actively involved in many of the social activities associated with village life, including leisure, sport and royal celebrations.

15 Up Holland?s roads have always presented a variety of problems. The Wesleyan Chapel in School Lane regularly complained about disturbance to the congregation by traffic clattering over the cobbles. Even when the grit sets were replaced by tarmac and the slippery surf ace presented a hazard for horse drawn traffic. During the 1920s the roads in Roby Mill, which were never intended for heavy traffic, were being used by lorries carrying coal from the surf ace mines at Dalton. Concerned by the serious damage to the roads and the nuisance caused by motor vehicles, the Urban District Council undertook a number of traffic censuses to identify the most affected highways; the census in 1923 revealed that Church Street was used by an average of 291 vehicles per day, many of which were motor vehicles and trailers.

16 The excessive speed of motor vehicles through the centre of the village presented a danger to pedestrians, especially on the congested sections of Parliament Street and School Lane. Heavy steam wagons, often weighing up to five tons and travelling at speeds up to 20 miles per hour, were 'shaking the place to pieces' . This problem was made worse by the dangerous practice of some drivers leaving their vehicles parked on these narrow roads. In 1925 the Council requested the Ministry of Transport to approve a maximum speed limit of 10 miles per hour on these village centre highways, believing that 'four miles an hour is plenty fast enough'. Other measures included the provision of handrails in Church Street and School Lane to safeguard school children.

17 The hills and corners in Up Holland were particular black spots. There were proposals to close Alma Hill to through omnibus and motor charabanc traffic and to erect boards warning heavy vehicles against using it. Notice boards warned drivers of the exceedingly dangerous corner at the Vicarage. The Northern Manager of the Motor Union felt unable to support Up Holland Council's request for a danger sign to be placed at the top of Bank Brow; it was argued that Bank Brow was not a main road and the local people who did use it would be aware of the hazards. The notorious junction of Parliament Street, Church Street and School Lane was improved by the positioning of a reflector at the top of School Lane to help drivers see vehicles coming from the opposite direction.

18 In the inter-war years, bus and charabanc traffic increased considerably; Up Holland was on a favoured route for pleasure trips to Southport. Relations between Up Holland Urban District Council and local bus companies were often strained. The Council claimed that the buses and charabancs did a great deal of damage to the roads and were a danger to other road users, especially on the narrow stretches of roads in the village. There were also complaints about buses failing to run on time, not stopping at recognised bus halt signs and being overcrowded at peak periods. In addition to the Ribble Buses, other companies recognised the potential of this route including Middleton and Woods Limited, who had been conveying passengers for many years, first in horse buses and more recently in charabancs and motor buses.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek