Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 2

Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Dr. Allan Miller
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-0954-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39 Rats were a problem in the village. Miss Weeton went on expeditions in search of what she called the 'politest brutes'. Up Holland Urban District Council used the Dingle as a storage depot and tip and it was a prime location for rats. The Council organised several campaigns for the destruction of pests. During the First World War head teachers of schools in Up Holland were encouraged to allow their older pupils to destroy rats, house sparrows and green linnets. A responsible farmer in each part of the district was deputed to examine and to reimburse those who undertook extermination of pests on the following scale: rats' tails, per dozen, 1 shilling; heads of fully fledged house sparrows, per dozen, 3 pennies; heads of unfledged house sparrows, per dozen, 2 pennies; house sparrows' eggs, per dozen, I pem1y.

40 The Local Authority took action to remove black spots from the village by demolishing unsightly buildings. Walker's property at the top of School Lane was removed to improve the appearance of the village. The Alma Hill and Higher Lane part of the village was made a clearance area; the former lodging houses were unsuitable for the purpose, bath from a moral and a sanitary standpoint. Other property was knocked down in the name of progress. In 1903 the old corn mill in Roby Mill was found to be in a dangerous state when it was planned to widen and raise the road at that point. Likewise property in Parliament Street and Church Street was demolished to extend the width of the roads: the ghost house was a casualty of such a scheme in 1934.

41 To replace derelict property, to relieve overcrowding in homes and to overcome the housing shortages, Up Holland COUl1Cil responded positively to initiatives designed to satisfy the demand for suitable houses. On the eve of the First World War a scheme for 35 new workmen's cottages in the village was planned and casted. Following the war other housing schemes were considered at a variety of locations, including Sandbrook Road, Roby Mill, Hall Green and Pimbo Lane. At the same time the Council discussed the possibility of a scheme on the land surrounded by School Lane, Church Street, Tontine Road and the Abbey Lakes Estate. This proposal involved the area being laid out and developed on town planning lines, which would have been to the 'very great advantage to the district'.

42 When snow fell in Up Holland 'skating was freely indulged in, the Abbey Lakes being highly patronised'. In 1880 plans to make Abbey Lakes into an 'improving place for pleasure seekers' were nearing completion. On Whit Monday holiday several thousand people came to enjoy the facilities. A steamboat carried a hundred passengers round the enlarged lake and thirty small pleasure boats were also available. A Grand Gala and Sports featured horse trotting, galloping races, tug of war and foot races. Whilst the children enjoyed the swing boats and other amusements, the adults made use of the excellent bowling green. An 'exotic' procession included a tribe of Royal gypsies and two Zulus who appeared in the 'fantastic garb of their country'. Two bands provided musie for dancing outside during the day and at night in the large ballrooms.

43 The Abbey Lakes hotel and grounds were the focus of much sociallife and the celebrations associated with royal events were usually 10cated there. Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887 saw Up Hollanders inclined towards 'a general disposition to go mad' and to indulge 'in every sort ofinnocent buffoonery'. The villagers enjoyed the attractions of Abbey Lakes, which included the grounds, well-kept gardens, boating, dancing, music and firework display. In a decorated marquee, capable of holding four hundred people, meals of beef, mutton, potatoes, peas, cabbage, plum pudding, beer and mineral waters were laid on. After dusk 'an immense multitude' congregated to appreciate the coloured larrups and candles, which illuminated the streets through which a torchlight procession paraded at 11 p.m.

44 In the early hours of 9 April 1912 disaster struck Abbey Lakes. A fire completely gutted the pavilion and caused considerable damage to the bar and tea rooms; one of the 450 people who had spoilt Easter Monday at Abbey Lakes had left a lighted cigarette on the pavilion floor and the flames were fanned by strong winds during the night. In 1925 the owner invested a considerable amount of money in restoring Abbey Lakes Hotel and Pleasure Gardens as a 'pleasure resort' . The project included emptying and cleaning the lake, which had become foul and a danger to health. The scheme received a big boost with the opening of the new Dance Hall with 4,000 square feet of maple floor and a full band in attendance. Later in the same year the first annual brass band con test was held in the grounds.

45 Trams from Wigan brought visitors to Abbey Lakes and provided services for local people. But the service was not always satisfactory. There was na shelter for passengers waiting for trams at Abbey Lakes and lighting was inadequate; it was claimed that two electric arc lights were needed to obviate the danger arising from the taking off of the trolley before the passengers alighted. Up Hollanders also complained about high fares and the unreliability of the service. In 1925 workmen who needed to be in Wigan for the 5.15 a.m. train could not rely on the 4.45 a.m. tram from Abbey Lakes and they were forced to walk two miles to Lamberhead Green to catch a more reliable car. In 1910 the driver and conductor of the tramway company were suspected of being implicated in street betting at the Abbey Lakes terminus, running bets for Up Holland men.

46 In 1933 Wigan and District Regional Town Planning Committee scheduled Dean Wood as an ' open space' but its natural attractions have been threatened. In June 1861 it was hit by a whirlwind that caused extensive damage. Large trees were torn up and others with firmer roots were snapped like reeds. The North Ashton Botanical Society visited Dean Wood to inspect the damage and to examine and collect some of the rare and beautiful specimens. In 1 92 1 Kill Devil Bridge was in a dangerous condition and the wooden bridge replaced with a metal and concrete structure with a 30 feet span. In the following year a landslide in the vicinity of this bridge led the huge stones, which formed the footpath, to slip leaving a gaping chasm, which was potentially fatal to children and highly dangerous to adults.

47 The Ashurst Beacon was another Up Holland beauty spot. The original stone and wooden building was erected in 1701 to give early warning of possible enemy invasions: an alarm fire could be seen on a clear day by ships in the Irish Sea and by people as far away as Wales, Yorkshire and Cumberland. But the main role of Ashurst Beacon has always been for recreation. During the 1930s riders and the hounds of the Holcombe Hunt met at Ashurst Beacon. The celebrations of many royal events climaxed with the lighting of a bonfire on Ashurst Beacon; on the night of21 June 1887 Ashurst Beacon was part of a chain of beacons illuminated in honour of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. At Easter and Whit holidays all routes to the Beacon were crowded with pedestrians.

48 It was not always peaceful at Ashurst Beacon, In 1875, when the landlord of the Prince William Hotel threatened to eject two noisy coal miners, one of them kicked out with his iron tipped pit clogs; the landlord subsequently died and the miner was charged with manslaughter. However, most visitors to the Beacon came to appreciate its beauty In 1905 members of the Liverpool Geological Association spent a full day at the Beacon, which they found of 'great interest to the student of geology, and not without attraction to a lover of natural scenery'. During the 1920s the Prince William was the terminus for buses bringing visitors to enjoy the views from Ashurst Beacon. The route was via Hall Green and along Mill Lane with buses every 40 minutes, the last service leaving the Prince William Hotel terminus at 9.20 p.m.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek