Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 2

Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Dr. Allan Miller
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-0954-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Up Holland in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49 Cricket was an integral part of the sporting and social scene in Up Holland. At a match in 1862 the ground 'presented a very animated appearance' . Several of the ladies of the village 'honoured the players with their presence'. The youngsters who crowded the adjoining land 'added very much to the merriment of the spectators by getting up races'. The game was followed by liquid refreshment at the White Lion, But it was not always such an idyllic scene. In 1884 there was controversy when Hindley All Saints defeated Up Holland. There were complaints about the 'disgusting utterance' of the Up Holland spectators. The Up Holland club denied any such discourtesy: 'It is no part of our need to publish the shortcomings or meanness of our opponents ... by screening them we shall show the Hindley saints what Up Holland sinners can do.'

50 The Council congratulated Up Holland Athletic Football Club on the double success in the 1933 season, when finishing top of the Juvenile Organisation Committee Welfare League and winning the Broughton Cup. In the League they won 21 out of 28 games and lost on1y 3, going undefeated after Christmas. Their home matches on the sports field in Back School Lane were watched by large crowds and they played fast, open football, scoring 111 goals and conceding only 33. The Cup Final was played at Mount Zion Ground in Pemberton and after a hard fought game Up Holland won by two goals to one, St. Patrick's missing the chance to equalise with a penalty with just two minutes to play. After the match Alderman McCurdy presented the Broughton Cup and the Rushton Bowl (for the League Championship) to the Up Holland captain.

51 When the Council discussed the provision of children's playgrounds in the 1920s, it approached Squire Bankes, a major landowner in Up Holland. One field towards Tower Hill was considered to be neither very level nor very convenient for the main part of the village. Another piece of land near Brooklands House would have been nearer the heart of the village, where most children lived, but its undulating nature made it less than suitable as a playground. The search continued because playing fields were seen as a means of keeping younger children off the public streets and of providing exercise in the open air. Applications
were made to the National Playing Fields Association and the Carnegie United Kingdom Trust for grants, but there was little progress because of the large expenditure involved.

52 The scattered nature of Up Holland made it difficult to make playfield provision in all areas, but Digmoor had a generous benefactor. William Mack had been Headmaster of Digmoor School from 1874 until his retirement in 1920. As a memorial to their father's work, his two sans purchased over 3 acres of land for a recreation ground. On 25 August 1 937 the Mack Playing Field was officially handed over by the Mack family to Up Holland Urban District Council, which undertook to support and maintain the playground and to equip it with recreational appliances. Mr. J. Perry]ones, Secretary of the Lancashire Playing Fields Association, hoped that it would do much to improve the stamina of local children and that adolescents who laboured in the mills and workshops would have similar provision made for their recreation.

53 Important families in Up Holland frequently arranged events in support of worthy causes and these were major social occasions. In 1912 Councillor Wilcock and his family of Sea View House hosted a garden party in aid of funds for the enlargement and improvement of the church schools. Encouraged by delightful weather, large numbers of friends and relatives turned up to participate in the lawn tennis, bowls and competitions. The coach house was transformed into a concert room, which was twice crowded to enjoy the musical treat provided by the artistes. The lady palmist in her gypsy tent proved a great attraction with most of the guests, especially the gentlemen. Miss Wilcock produced a cookery book, containing over two hundred useful recipes. In the opinion of some, Up Holland had never had a more enjoyable social party in Aid of Church Schools' Enlargement; Fund.

54 In 1865 the old Up Holland Grammar School hosted a meeting in support of a reading room and library for the diffusion of useful knowledge; it was felt that this would raise them 'in the scale of society' . They rented a building in School Lane, which was available every day of the week, except Sundays, when it was used as a chapel, The reading room was open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and contained a collection of daily and weekly newspapers and magazines including The Times, The Telegraph, The Standard, Manchester Guardian, Liverpool Mercury, Wigan Observer, Wigan Examiner, Warrington Guardian, Illustrated London News and Punch. The library was open once or twice each week; for a small charge members could borrow from the two hundred books on show. A series of 'penny readings' proved very popular and attracted large attentive audiences.

55 This picture of John 'Dolly' Mills lighting lamps from his donkey -drawn cart was accepted and commended by Queen Alexandra years earlier, in 1863, the wedding of the then Princess Alexandra to the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, was celebrated with gusto in Up Holland. The Parish Church bells were rung and five large flags were hoisted on the tower. A brass band accompanied the children's procession through the village. In the evening a large coal bonfire, funded by public subscriptions, was ignited. Ta add to the illumination from the fire, almost every cottage window was lit up with candles. The coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra in 1902, scheduled for June, had to be postponed until August because of the King's illness and many events were 'shorn of their splendour and gaiety'.

56 For the coronation of King George V and Queen Mary in 191 1 Up Holland glowed from end to end with colourful flags, streamers and decorated arches across the main streets. In the morning the ringers rang several peals of the church bells. Dignitaries in 'a carriage and pair' headed the official procession from Hall Green. Throughout the day the Do Da Band and the Pemberton Total Abstinence Band provided the entertainment. At night the charming decorations were illuminated by Chinese lanterns and Up Holland?s biggest ever crowd assembled to witness the illuminations, the firework display near the old windmill and the torchlight parade through the village. Beautifully decorated wagons carried the children in their festival clothes, accompanied by a band in bright uniforms.

57 Up Holland streets were gaily decorated and large crowds gathered to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V and Queen Mary in 1935. A large procession, which included nine hundred school children, assembled at Hall Green and proceeded along the main streets of the village, accompanied by the Wigan British Legion Band, the Pemberton Old Prize Band and the Up Holland British Legion Do Da Band. The main celebrations were held in the Abbey Lakes grounds and hall. In the afternoon the children competed in inter-school sports. After tea the Jolly Boys from Bolton gave a concert in the Dance Hall and Councillor Ernest Swift lit a huge bonfire. The evening reached its climax with the Jubilee dance.

58 The coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1937 provided another memorable day for the dignitaries and people of Up Holland. Having assembled at Hall Green the procession passed through the village en route for the Abbey Lakes Pleasure Gardens. Interschool?s sports occupied the afternoon before the children were entertained to tea in the large hall and a concert given by the Joy Boys. The Parr Public Brass Band, the Pemberton Old Prize Band and the village Do Da Jazz Band entertained throughout the day. The Coronation Ball was held in the Dance Pavilion with music provided by Doris Draper and her seven-piece dance orchestra. In preparation for the celebrations council workmen had collected timber from local works and from the demolished Legs of Man inn to create a huge bonfire, which was ignited by Councillor Swift.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek