COVID-19 UPDATE : I.v.m met het Corona virus kan het zijn dat de levering van de Ansichtenboekjes vertraging oploopt. Het is nog steeds mogelijk om het boekje van het dorp of de stad van uw keuze te bestellen. We hebben een groot aantal boekjes op voorraad en deze kunnen direct geleverd worden. Echter boekjes die niet op voorraad zijn worden op dit moment tijdelijk niet gedrukt. Zodra onze drukker weer gaat produceren zullen we deze boekjes alsnog leveren. Houdt u dus rekening met langere levertijden dan er nu op de site vermeld staan. Wij hopen op uw begrip voor deze uitzonderlijke situatie.
Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards

Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Bernard J. Norman
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2829-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Photographed on their pitch on the Bath House meadow are the players ofWalton Swifts Football Club, season 1910-1911, when they were winners of the South East Angllan league division two and runners-up in the Harwich and District league. The team is, back row, left to right: W. Dowsing, C. Easthaugh, G. Hatcher; centre left to right: A. Keeble, E. Norman, A.N. Other; front row, left to right: A. Stoker, P. Gladwell, J. Fackerell, E. Holtham, P. Norton. A crowd of five hundred spectators was not unusual for home games and the opposition in the Harwich and District league included naval teams from ships in the Harwich flotilla and from the Ganges training establishment at Shotley. With the sea just over the wall there was no need for washing facilities! Creswell's horse buses were hired to take the team and supporters to away games and Billy Cook's smacks 'Welcorne' and 'Friendship' conveyed them by water when playing at Shotley, weather permitting.

ยท

I .

10. This picture was taken in 1892 and shows a barge unloading her cargo of Kentish ragstone into carts on the Albion beach, to be used in the foundations of the new Shore Road and sea wall. This was to be a great improvement on the sand and shingle road which connected the town and the Naze and was prone to flooding where it crossed the low lying area known in the past as Walton Gap. When the promenades and breakwaters were built at Walton, thousands of tons of materials were unloaded from barg es in this manner. When nearing the pre-arranged unloading position on the beach, the skip per would drop his anchor and pay off the cable which was used as an off-haul when departing.

11. It is autumn in 1904 on the Albion beach and the wind is from the south-east, This will result in the rough seas scouring away the sand, sometimes as much as three or four feet in one tide. The beachcombers search for money and items of va1ue lost by the summer holidaymakers and when a wave recedes and revea1s a penny or maybe a florin in the sand they rush forward to collect it. Shou1d their timing be wrong they will also collect two wet feet from the next wave! The one weakness in the design of the sea defence erected in the 1890's can c1ear1y be seen at its far end. The sea wall on1y breaks the waves, but is not the right shape to contain them and water sweeps across the Shore Road and floods the Bath House meadow on the other side.

12. One of the few beaches not covered at high water ordinary tides is the Albion beach, seen here in 1890 when bathing was not to be indulged in except from a bat hing machine. The bathing machines were owned and worked by Charles Bates, with the help of his brother, using a horse to move them. A few years earlier they had been moved up and down the beach by means of a rope and a capstan. The ten sided wooden hut in the foreground is the camera Obscura, inside which, for a penny, holidaymakers could stand round a table on which the animated scenes outside were portrayed by means of a double-convex lens which was housed on the roof of the hut. There was a similar arrangement on the east beach, where the bathing machines were owned by Stephen carter.

13. The children look on with expectancy as the outer end of the longshore net is landed on the beach by the lobster boat. Gentlemen holidaying in the town could hire local boatmen for an everring's longshore fishing, and this picture, taken in 1904, shows one such gentleman in his shirtsleeves standing at the stern of the boat. Catches generally consisted of a few plaice and dabs with the odd lobster if lucky, but occasionally it was possible to have a good number of soles in the haul.

14. On a hot summer day in 1900, on the Shore Road near the Albion corner, 'Sudbury' Mills, a weil known loeal whip, reigns up his horses for this picture to be taken before departing on the pleasure trip to Clacton and back. The fare is 1s.6d. and the wagonette will leave at 2.30 p.m.

15. Potter's butcher's shop at the Albion corner in 1908 was one of two shops he owned in Wa1ton, the other being situated in the Six Releat, His slaughter house was in Kirby Road just opposite the drive leading to New House Farm. He bought all his cattle at Thorpe market and drove them to his slaughter house in Walton. The site originally occupied by the Albion corner shop was used in 1923 for a block of shops and flats, and the Six Releat shop was replaced in the mid-1930's by the Eleetricity showrooms. For several years Jonathan Parsons Potter was a member of the Wa1ton Improvement Commissioners Board, the body responsible for the town's administration before the formation of the Wa1ton Urban District Council.

16. On a sunny summer morning, John Turpin, painter and glazier, turns on his ladder and watches as the camera catches Miss Emma Brannon and some of her pupils outside her 'School for young ladies' at Linden House, Saville Street, about 1896. Linden House, and next door Hertford House, a fine pair of bow windowed Georgian houses with stables at the rear, were, during the nineteenth century, aften rented by the Victorian gentry. who with their servants would spend the summer months in the town. Mr. Hart, the coal merchant, lived at number 13 next door to Hertford House. At the rear he had his coal yard and stables from which he hired out pony chaises. Access to these Saville Street stables was from North Street.

17. Captain Coote is seen with the tewn's Fire Brigade in 1913. The brigade's horse drawn fire engine, which was named the 'Welcorne', was built by Merryweathers of London and owned by the Walton Urban District Council. It was housed at this period at Saville Hall at the bottom of Saville Street. The fire fighters on the 'Welcorne' are, left to right: D. Young, A. Christmas, A. Gray, J. Ward, A. Lee, W. Cook, A. Oxley (Junior), and standing left to right are Captain Coote, C. Cave, A. Oxley (Senior) and F. Norman.

-

I '

d-.

. "

-,

18. Photographed in 1899 the Walton baker and confectioner Arthur Charles Carter stands with his wife in the doorway of his shop at 7 North Street. His bakehouse is next door at number 9. The family business was established by his father, William Carter, in 1829. Another old business which was at the top of North Street belonged to Mr. Henry Riddelsdell the blacksmith, whose forge was at the rear of Ivy Cottage. His business was established in 1825 by his father Thomas Martin Riddelsdell, for many years the Parish Clerk. In addition to Doctor Dee's house at number 1 there were other business premises and workshops in North Street, including John Turpin the glazier at number 8, Miss Secker's pork butcher's at number 2, and Henry Riddelsdell's grocery and beer retailing shop at number 14.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek