COVID-19 UPDATE : I.v.m met het Corona virus kan het zijn dat de levering van de Ansichtenboekjes vertraging oploopt. Het is nog steeds mogelijk om het boekje van het dorp of de stad van uw keuze te bestellen. We hebben een groot aantal boekjes op voorraad en deze kunnen direct geleverd worden. Echter boekjes die niet op voorraad zijn worden op dit moment tijdelijk niet gedrukt. Zodra onze drukker weer gaat produceren zullen we deze boekjes alsnog leveren. Houdt u dus rekening met langere levertijden dan er nu op de site vermeld staan. Wij hopen op uw begrip voor deze uitzonderlijke situatie.
Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards

Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Bernard J. Norman
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2829-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. These old buildings in North Street present an interesting picture and are no longer with us. The second house on the left was only 8 feet 3 inches wide and was the narrowest house in the town. In the white cottage a little further down the street lived William Sharman the bootmaker and his workshop is the black building to its left. In 1899 Mrs. Byford the laundress lived at number 51 and Charles Bates, who owned and operated the bathing machines on the Albion beach, lived at number 61.

20. On a summer morning during 1898 Mr. Arthur Mills steps outside his grocery, drapery and boot stores at 41 High Street, to have this photograph taken together with his daughter Elia and his son Wilfred who also work in the business. The boy with the donkey cart and the lady with the bicycle look on, and the milk cart is on the other side of the street. Beyend the store is the Post Office, which is run by Mrs. Sarah Crooks Daniels, Postmistress. Mail was received four times a day, and there were four despatches daily, although during the summer months there was an extra despatch at 7.15 p.m. for which the post box was c1eared at 7.5 p.m. The site of Arthur Mills' stores and the old Post Office is now occupied by the Colchester Co-operative Seciety's Stores. The Post Office was moved to the Town Hall building at the turn of the century, and then in the 1930's to its present position almast opposite to where it stood in 1898.

21. Number 27 High Street was the 'Home of Rest', connected with the Field Lane Mission in London and used during the summer months to give invalids who could not afford it, the opportunity to recuperate in the health-giving sea air ofWalton. At that time, in 1900, Mrs. Moore was the lady superintendent. The red brick house was originally known as Artillery Villa and is one of the oldest houses in the High Street. The front garden is today occupied by Mr. W.R. Nicholl'sjeweller's shop. When the house was first built there was, from the rear of it, an uninterrupted view acrcss the Naze marshes and Walton Channel to Harwich.

22. The Town Hall was built of red brick and was erected in 1900 at a cost of t8,000. It contained a large hall at the rear with a seating capacity of seven hundred and a smaller hall for meetings. Excellent concerts and theatrica1 performances were given by first class companies. On the upper floor were the Council offices and retiring rooms and on the ground floor were the Post Office, Barclays Bank chambers, shops and offices. The affairs of the town were controlled by an Urban District Council of fifteen mernbers, constituted under the provisions of the Local Government Act of 1894. Previously the tewn's management was in the hands of the Walton Improvement Commissioners and Urban Sanitary Authority.

23. The scene is a festive occasion inside the King's Theatre at the Town Hall during the old felk's Christmas party in 1922. This picture was taken from the stage, looking down into the auditorium with the balcony shutters down. Theatrical productions ceased in the King's Theatre in 1934 following Iocal government amalgamatien and sale of the Town Hall.

24. In 1804, with Napoleon threatening to invade Britain, defensive Martello towers were constructed along the south and east coasts. The east coast towers were assigned a letter for easy identification, and the two towers at Walton were towers J and K. Tower K, pictured here in 1905, remains today, and tower J was sited where th ere are now the Round Gardens at the rear of the Pier Hotel. Mounted on traverse tracks on top of each tower were two 24 pounder cannon and a howitzer. Overlapping arcs of fire could accurately cover that area of land from the beach to the backwaters, and contain any landing on the Naze. Tower J was sold in 1836 and taken down, its bricks being used to build Tower Cottages in Crescent Road, MarteIlo Cottages in New Pier Street and Tower Terrace in Newgate Street. Tower K housed a detachment of Walton coastguards for several years, before they were rehoused and stationed aboard the Watch-vessel in the backwaters.

25. On the last of the flood tide, the loaded barge seen in the centre of this picture taken in 1906 is making for the watermill dock, to tie up alongside another barge which is having her cargo unloaded into the carts. The masts of two other barges can be seen in the windmill doek on the left of the picture. On the Town Hard and seen immediately below the windmill is one of the two shingle boats, which hasjust unloaded on the Hard. At this period these boats were operated by J. Byford and W. Oxley, who brought the shingle from Stone Point up to the town for building purposes, paying Mr. Eagle 6d. per cubic yard for it and selling it for 3s. 6d. The 15 feet clinker built lobster boats in this everyday scene were built at Harwich. A boat made of silver spruce at Cann's yard cost Li7 and one made of elm at Norrnan's yard co st LiS. A pair of oars and a rudder cost Li each and a dipping lug sail complete with its yard cost t3.

26. The watermill, which was a corn grinding tide mill, was working as far back as 1400 and had an interesting history. lts most prosperous period was during the nineteenth century, when, following its sale to Mr. John Archer in 1832, trade was greatly increased. At that time Mr. Archer owned three vessels in which flour and grain were conveyed to the North of England and coal brought back. Some loeal mariners served their apprenticeship in these vessels. The power to drive the millstones was provided by the large undershot wheel driven by water from the thirty acre mill pond, which in turn was supplied with sea water from Walton Channel through a sluice adjacent to the watermill. Mr. Archer had fifteen children, six boys and nine girls, and all the boys becarne millers. The watermill was dismantled in 1921 and the mill pond beeame the boating lake.

27. The sailing collier 'Bee', having unloaded her cargo of coal into the coal sheds, is being turned in the watermill doek ready to be loaded with bagged flour for the return trip north during the early 1880's. The 'Bee' was owned by a local master mariner, John Brackenbury and his partner, John Mann of Mistley. They owned several other vessels, including the two masted 185 ton 'Queen of Mistley' and the large three masted 211 ton 'Frances and Jane' both built by John Vaux at Harwich, in 1873 and 1878 respectively. Several Walton men were amongst the crews of these vessels. John Brackenbury was master of the 'Queen of Mistley' for a time and she traded from east coast ports to the Mediterranean for fruit and up into the Arctic Circle to Archangel for pitch and tallow. She was lost off Terschelling in 1880. The 'Frances and Jane' was converted to barquentine rig in 1925 and survived until the Second World War, gaining the distinction of being the last square rigged merchant sailing vessel to be registered at a horne port in Britain.

28. Built on the narrow neck of land at the bottom of Mill Lane, above the level of spring tides, was the windmill, seen here in 1902. 1t was a post mill, working two pairs of stones and was purehased, together with the waterrnill, by John Archer in 1832. The two sails seen in the vertieal position are of the eommon type and cloth eovered, being furled from the ground, while the two sails in the horizontal position are of the patent type, their shutters being adjusted from within the mil!, according to the strength of the wind. The mil! ceased working at the turn of the century and was demolished in 1921. The site is now occupied by the Yacht Club building, which was moved there in 1923 after having been used at Cliff Parade as a submarine listening post during the First World War.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek