COVID-19 UPDATE : I.v.m met het Corona virus kan het zijn dat de levering van de Ansichtenboekjes vertraging oploopt. Het is nog steeds mogelijk om het boekje van het dorp of de stad van uw keuze te bestellen. We hebben een groot aantal boekjes op voorraad en deze kunnen direct geleverd worden. Echter boekjes die niet op voorraad zijn worden op dit moment tijdelijk niet gedrukt. Zodra onze drukker weer gaat produceren zullen we deze boekjes alsnog leveren. Houdt u dus rekening met langere levertijden dan er nu op de site vermeld staan. Wij hopen op uw begrip voor deze uitzonderlijke situatie.
Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards

Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Bernard J. Norman
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2829-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

I

29. In the windmill doek with her hatch covers stacked aft is the spritsail barge 'Georgiana', belonging to Smeed Dean and Company, the Kentish barge owners. She has unloaded her cargo of bricks brought from the Kent brickfields at a freight rate of 4s. a thousand. There was considerable barge traffic in the Walton backwaters when this picture was taken in 1893. Cargoes of bricks, coal, ragstone used for road building, and grain were coming into the docks at the mills and cargo es of flour were leaving. The foundry doek also was busy, and local farmers' needs were served from the village quays or from alongside their sea walls, with barg es bringing ragstone and chalk and taking away the pro duce of the fields, including hay which went to London to feed the city's horses,

30. Saturday, March 28th, 1903, and Walton farmer Colonel R.P. Davis J.P., late of the Indian Army, is pictured at the contra Is of his 10 horse power Locomobile touring car. Sitting beside hirn is his game-keeper, Charles Eaton, and standing at the side of the car is William Hammond. Colonel Davis was High Sheriff of Essex, a Justice of the Peace and represented the Walton division of Essex on the County Counci1. He inherited New House Farm on the death of his uncle, Squire Richard Blanshard, and took a very active interest in the town's affairs. He was also Churchwarden at the Parish Church. In his touring car, which was driven by a combination of steam and petrol, he could cover forty-five to fifty miles on one tank of water and carry enough petrol for a hundred miles. The car was fitted with steam, air and water pumps and had an attachment for inflating the tyres by steam power. The car could cruise at 25 to 30 miles per hour. The brent geese seen hanging from the car provide evidence of a recent wildfowling trip.

31. Moored in the Twizzle off Colenel's Hard is the 30 foot steam launeh 'Tyche', built for Colonel Davis of New House Farm by Forrests of Wivenhoe in 1894 for wildfowling in the Walton baekwaters. She is seen here in 1898 with her funnel in the hinged down position and her two swivelling fowling guns mounted forward. The large gun is a 2 ineh breeeh loader and the smaller a 1 v.. ineh muzzle loader. The skipper in 1898 was Charles Eaton, the gamekeeper, and during the shooting season Colonel Davis and his friends would steam in the 'Tyche' looking for wildfowl, which eould at times be found in very great numbers. With the conspieuous funnel lowered, they would earefully steam to within range, before diseharging the eontents of both guns into the unsuspeeting birds. Enormous numbers of brent geese, teal and widgeon were aecounted for in this way by the guns of the 'Tyehe'.

32. Robert Warner and Company's engineering works at the Naze provided the main souree of employment in the town, with as many as three hundred men and women working there at its peak. The speciality of the Company was pumping machinery of all types, but they also built steam engines, turbines and machinery for rubber plantations. Many of their pumps were exported to South Africa for use in the diamond and coal mines and the picture, taken in 1891, shows the eight forges in the blacksmith's shop with the steam hammer on the right.

33. The moulders of Robert Warner's foundry are seen outside the moulding shop for their photograph to be taken in 1891. Some are sitting on the gear wheels which were used in the manufacture of the water pumps. Robert Warner built many houses for his workers in Walton and these included BIoomfield Cottages in Hall Lane, Canada Gardens in Saville Street and the terra ce houses on each side of First Avenue,just round the corner from the works. During the First World War thirty women were employed for the war effort and assisted in the production of armour-piercing shells, the cases for 18 pounder shells and turnbuckles for aircraft rigging.

34. In Warner's foundry in 1912 there can be seen a large wind driven water pump, one of the foundry's largest production models, and just beyond, a fitter is positioning the vanes on a smaller modeL A trarnway ran through all the workshops and terminated at the foundry doek, which was quite sizeable and gave access via the Walton Channel to the North Sea. All the raw materials were brought by barge into this doek. After passing through the various stages of manufacture the finished product eventually reached the erection shop, where all the items were assembied and tested. When found satisfactory they were dismantled and loaded aboard a barge for shipment. In the case of overseas orders they were shipped to the London docks for transfer to a cargo steamer.

35. Foundry Lane, seen here in 1891, extended from the White Lodge corner to the foundry gate. The thirteen cottages on the 1eft are BIoomfield Cottages, built by foundry owner Robert Warner for his employees. The large building at the far end of the row was the works canteen. Today the lane has reverted to its original name of Hall Lane and the cottages are privately owned. The foundry closed in 1921, following a dispute, and the works canteen became the Baptist Church. The founder of the Baptist mission in the town was Mrs. E. Howe, who resided in Navarino Place, High Street.

36. This picture is of Victoria Place, West Street, following a fall of snow during the winter of 1894. The thatched building is The Hoy, an ancient hostelry dating back to the eighteenth century and reputed to have had strong smuggling connections. The street is illuminated by gas, and the church tower has yet to be built. West Street extended from Mi11 Lane to the Parish Church until the formation of the Walton Urban District Council, when it was incorporated into the High Street. The name West Street was then given to the street behind the church which bears that name today,

37. Seen holding the horse in the High Street is Robert Creswell, job master, of 1 Saville Street, and his two loaded wagonettes are conveyances for the excursions to Beaumont Oak and Weeley woods. Before the railway came to Walton he had operated the twice daily omnibus service to Colchester and back, connecting with the London trains at Colchester North station, having changed horses at Weeley Black Boy Inn. The date of this picture is 1896 and his advertised summer excursions at this time also included trips to Landermere, Thorpe and Great Oakley. His stables were situated in Saville Street behind his house, which had been constructed with bricks from Weeley Barracks, demolished after the Napoleonic wars. The butcher's boy looking on is 'Piper' Mason, later to become a weH respected town tradesman.

38. Following the loss of the tewn's original church, engulfed by the ever eneroaehing sea during the last few years of the eighteenth century, a second church of red brick was built on land given by Mr. Daniel Brown at the western end of the High Street. ft was consecrated by Bishop Porteus in 1804. The church was subsequently enlarged and improved in the 1830's and a tower added. The picture shows the church in 1863. Ten years later work commenced to replace the building with a larger church on the same site.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek