Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards

Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Bernard J. Norman
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2829-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. Seen from across Martello Road in 1892 is the building which replaced the red brick church, and we see it complete ex cept for the upper part of the tower which was added later. In the photograph can be seen the chancel, vestry, nave and south aisle of the new building, Waltori's present Parish Church. Building commenced in 1873 and extended over a period of about ten years. Part of the church was built before the red brick church was entirely removed, and in this picture the difference in texture of the tiles on the nave roof indicates the point the new building had reached before the final demolition of the old church, and completion of the new.

Interior, Parisii Church, Waiton-on-Naze.

40. Inside All Saints Parish Church in 1904 we are looking towards the altar and the fine stained glass window, which was given in 1901 in memory of Peter Schuyler Bruff, who had played such a prominent part in the development of, in the words of the memorial tablet in the chancel, 'the town he loved so well'. In front of the chancel arch and near the pulpit is the fine oak lectern presented by his friends in memory of John Winchester, who for twenty-two years was the schoolmaster at the Church school in the High Street. Seen through the second of the five bays in the nave is part of the south aisle and the organ which was built in 1882.

41. The addition of the embattled tower to the Parish Church was commenced in 1895. Costing U ,500 it was a gift by Colonel R.P. Davis J.P. of New House Farm. The picture, taken in 1896, shows the flags flying from the top of the wooden scaffold poles as the tower is nearing completion and ready for the installation of the doek with its four dials. The doek, made by J. Smith and Sons, Mldland Steam Clock Works, Derby, was duly installed at a cost of U60, which was subscribed by parishioners.

42. At Southcliff is 'Barnard Lea', the residence of Miss Barron. Seen here in 1895, she was a regular worshipper at the Parish Church, where the new tower was nearing completion and ready for the installation of the ring of bells which Miss Barron had promised to donate. All seemed to be going wel! for the church until two of her pet goats escaped from her garden and wandered into the churchyard, where they were seen by a churchwarden who happened to be passing on his steam car. He despatched the goats with his boot, but unfortunately Miss Barron had witnessed the incident from Martello Road and withdrew her splendid offer, leaving the church without its ring of bells, The picture shows Miss Barron standing at the front door, and three of her pets lying on the window sill,

43. Walton has always suffered from the increasing encroachment of the sea and this picture taken in 1897 shows the farm house at Burnt House Farm on the edge of the cliff', ready to go down with the next subsidence. Owned by Mr. Peter Bruff and managed by William Barrell, the farm was situated on the old coast road leading south from the town, and visitors would commence their journey from Walton via Newgate Street, following the road along the cliffs to the farm. If they continued on past the farm outbuildings they would pass Pole Barn on their right and the road would eventually join the Colchester Road and Stewards Lane, now known as Elm Tree Avenue.

44. The railway station is seen here in 1909 with its stylish brickwork bathed in sunshine, as passengers board the train standing at one of the two passenger platforms. The goods bay is out of the picture to the left, but the pareels shed is seen with its door open. The Wa1ton branch of the railway was completed in 1867 at aperiod when Walton was beginning to build its unequalled reputation as the best resort in north Essex. Crowds of trippers arrived on the weekend excursions from all over the eastern counties as weil as from London, the great engines being turned on the turntabie, and when the sidings were fuil of carriages the surplus ones were shunted to Thorpe sidings for the day's storage,

45. A mixed goods train, with the Y14 class locomotive No. 540 at its head, is ab out to leave the Great Eastern Railway's yard during 1894. A few years later additional sidings were laid beyend the signal box and, to provide an uninterrupted field of vision for the signalman, the top half of its brick chimney stack was removed and the windows and balcony extended all round. As the station is situated to the south-west of the town centre, townsfolk often say that when they can hear the sound of the trains rain ean be expected. The Great Eastern Railway's cartage agent during the 1890's was Charles Matthew Hipkin at the Bath House yard, Shore Road.

46. This photograph was taken in 1886 and shows, on the left, six of the eight houses which comprised South Terrace. On the right is the Clifton Hotel, and in the centre the Marine Terrace. This area of the town was developed between 1858 and 1863 before the railway arrived. All the buildings were constructed by Mr. Peter Schuyler Bruff, civil engineer, of Ipswich, and the handsome hotel contained billiard and reading rooms and a concert room with a capacity for three hundred and fifty persons. Today the hotel is named the Pier Hotel and Marine Terrace has become Bruff Terrace.

47. The imposing South Terrace, complete with its eight houses, is seen from the foot of the second pier, with the buffers at the shore end of the tramway in the foreground. South Terrace was built in 1861. The entire terra ce was destroyed by an enemy bomb during a daylight air raid in 1940 and was never rebuilt. The site is now a putting green. The houses in the background, to the right, are at the end of what is today known as New Pier Street.

48. The first pier to be built at Walton was 300 feet in length. Designed by Mr. Penrice, a Colchester architect, and erected in 1830 at a cost of U,OOO, it extended seawards from the Green and at the top of tides provided access for visitors arriving by Steam Packets from London and Ipswich. It was lengthened during its lifetime and survived until January 1880, only to be washed away by heavy seas together with the sea wall on each flank. The Marine Gardens are all that is left of the Green, once the wel! known venue for the fireworks display and events allied to the annaal Walton regatta held in August. The picture was taken during a regatta being held in a stiff southerly breeze.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek