Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards

Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Bernard J. Norman
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2829-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. The second pier was owned by the Walton Pier and Hotel Company Limited and is seen here in 1888. For a time Walton had two piers until the first was washed away in 1880. Originally the second pier was built to a length of 530 feet in the 1870's, but, as with the first pier, the lack of water at the pier head made the embarkation and landing of passengers difficult at certain times and they had to transfer to small boats for this. The summer steamer services to London and Ipswich were very popular, and with steamers of larger size and draught being used to cope with the increased passenger traffic, the owners decided that the pier should be extended to reach deeper water. During the extension the cornpany owning the pier was incorporated into the Coast Development Company Limited which later constructed piers at Southwold, Lowestoft, and Felixstowe.

50. The second Walton Pier was extended by the Coast Development Company Limited and opened in August 1898, the completed length being 2,610 feet with three steamer berths and most important of all, plenty of water for the oompany's Belle paddle steamers. In the photograph, which was taken in 1900, four Belle steamers can be seen. The steamer for London is in her berth on the right of the pier, whilst the funnel of the Yarmouth boat indicates her presence in the berth to the left. The excursion steamer for Margate is departing, leaving the pier end berth vacant for use by the Woolwich Belle seen arriving frorn lpswich. Steamer passengers. after obtaining their tickets from the booking office at the entrance to the pier could either take the electric tram to the pier head or walk, passing on their right the shooting saloon, and the headquarters of the Walton swimming club, finally arriving at the spacious pavilion which provided refreshments and daily entertainments for visitors at the pier head.

51. In a light easterly breeze and with two seamen setting fenders on her port sponsons, the Walton Belle in 1904 prepares to come alongside. Built by Denny Brothers of Dumbarton in 1897 she was 230 feet long and 26 feet in the beam, her triple expansion engines giving her a speed of 17 knots. The Belle Steamer Company, incorporated into the Coast Development Cornpany in 1898, provided a fine summer service for resorts between London and Great Yarmouth. The 'down' steamer left London Bridge at 9 a.m., called at intermediate Essex resorts and arrived at Walton pier about 2.45 p.m. Also arriving at 2.45 p.m. was the 9 a.m. 'up' steamer from Great Yarmouth, which had called at the Suffolk resorts. These steamers returned just after 3 p.m, for London and Great Yarmouth respectively. As Walton pier was an important change-over point, through passengers to continue their journey had merely to cross the pier. A London to Walton saloon class return ticket cost 6s.6d. A daily service (Fridays excepted) to Felixstowe, Harwich and Ipswich was provided by the smallest of the Cernpany's seven steamers, the Woolwich Belle.

/

52. The Walton Power Station, situated on the northern boundary of the Great Eastern Railway's sidings, was built during 1897 by the Coast Development Cornpany Limited, initially to pro vide power for the electric tramway which ran the complete length of the pier along its north side. A Siemans 50 KW generator driven by a Gardner gas engine produced a direct current at 200 volts. The power was carried to the pier by overhead lines and fed into the centre rail of the tramway, from where it was picked up by the two Crompton 15 horse power motors which provided the traction for the tram and its two earriages. The Coast Development Company's manager during this period was Mr. E.A. Lambert, and C. Close and E. Norman were his engineers.

53. The picture of the generator room in the Power Station in 1908 shows on the left the orginal Gardner gas engine with its Siemans generator, and on the right, added a few years later, the 50 KW Parker generator, driven by a Paxman steam engine and used in conjunction with two horizontal boilers. The steam plant was found to be more efficient at slow speeds, such as when heavy passenger traffic was using the pier tram. The Power Station started supplying domestic electricity in 1904 and the first building to have electric light was the Pier Hotel, at a cost of 6d. per unit, not cheap, but clean and convenient.

, ..

54. The savagery of the 1880 gales can easily be imagined when looking at the photograph taken during the following summer. The two great inroads made into the Green by the sea can clearly be seen, the one nearest the camera actually cutting half way across the road in front of Mr. Broeke's bazaar. The remaining section of the Green, which had been protected by stonework at the foot of the old pier, was later removed, giving the replacement promenade a decided indentation at that point, known thereafter to the locals as 'Brooke's Hole'.

55. Protected from the sun by his umbrella the gentleman in the centre of the picture is reading his morning newspaper while seated on the promenade during the summer of 1905. Above him and to the left of the rail enclosed Green are some of the fine houses of the Parade. The terrace with the arched windows and balconies was built in the 1830's and was designed by Mr. Penrice of Colchester. The next house, with the creeper on the wall, is Gunfleet House which was built at a later date, and at the end are numbers 46 and 47, the oldest houses in the row. This fine pair of bow windowed Georgian houses with their characteristic porches constituted the Claughton Convalescent Home, supported by voluntary contributions with Mrs. Bessie Leader as sister in charge. Beyond the end of the row can be seen the Albion Hotel and in the distance White Lodge and East Terrace.

Congregational Church, Walton-on-Naze.

56. The Congregational Church, a fine building with a small spire, is situated in Station Street, having been erected in 1873. The building has a seating capacity of three hundred and sixty persons and is complete with a balcony, In 1903 the srnall porch seen on the right of the building was removed and the building extended to the footpath, to provide an additional classroom. The Minister at the turn of the century was the Reverend Matthew Stoker Horton and the Sunday School superintendent was George Polley.

57. One of the characters to be seen and heard in the town at the turn of the century was James Smith the Town Crier, an ex-naval man who lived on Walton Square. For a shilling he would cry the details of any forthcoming event all round the town and when he finished his notices he removed his hat and said 'God save the Queen and all her loyal subjects'. He is seen with his pony and trap coming down Newgate Street into the Six Releat.

58. The first Royal National Lifeboat Institution baat to be stationed in the town was the 'Honourable Artillery Company', presented by the drama group of that Regiment in 1884. She was a 37 foot self-righting baat and is pictured on her carriage outside the lifebaat house at the end of East Terrace in 1895. She was launched down a slip in front of the baat house, and at low tide had to be hauled across the sand on her carriage to reach the water. On these occasions sand plates were attached to the carriage wheels to stop them sinking into the sand, and they are seen in position in the photograph. Harses were generally used to help launch and re-house the baat, if available, and because of the construction of the slip accidents did happen. The 'Honourable Artillery Company' was replaced in 1900 by the 'James Stevens No. 14', a 43 foot baat of the Norfolk and Suffolk type, which was kept aflaat near the pier head, making the Jifeboat house at East Terrace redundant.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek