Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards

Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Bernard J. Norman
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2829-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Walton-on-the-Naze in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. The crew of the 'Honourable Artillery Company' are standing in front of their boat at the Royal National Lifeboat Institution boat house at the end of East Terrace in 1894. FIOm left to right they are G. Clamp, D. Srnith, W. Hammond, 1. Byford, P. Oxley, J. Bates, A. Halls, F. Lee, H. Cutter, W. Fairbrother, G. Bates, A. Lee, H. Britton (Coxswain) and G. Hatcher. The Honorary Secretary was the Reverend James Theodore Cooke.

60. Photographed on her arrival at Walton is the second volunteer lifeboat the "Irue to the Care', whieh in 1897 replaced the first baat of the same name, having been launehed at John Houstori's yard at Rowhedge on October 12th of that year, Her moorings were to the left of the pier and a boarding baat, the 'Peter Bruff', was used to board her. One of the Norfolk and Suffolk type lifeboats with a large spread of canvas, the 'True to the Care' was 40 feet in length and with a salt water ballast capacity of up to six tons, and two eentre plates, she was a very fast and wet baat in rough eonditions. She remained at Walton until the volunteer company disbanded in 1911, and was then sold to Turkey, to beeome part of that country's lifeboat fleet.

ยท -

--::::::~--

61. Wearing their cork life jackets the crew of the 'True to the Core' volunteer lifeboat pose for the camera in front of the pavilion at the pier head in 1900. Standing left to right are C. Polley, W. Oxley.T. Fairbrother, F. Horton, T. Horton, A. Polley (Coxswain), A. Barnden, J. Denny, G. Snowdin, N. Fairbrother and D. Polley (Nightwatchman). Seated left to right are P. Coote, M. Fairbrother, 1. Day, F. Sparrow (second Coxswain), F. Collins, H. Polley and W. Wyatt. The cernpany's belt house and gear store was a wooden building in Newgate Street, opposite Paternoster Row, and the Honorary Secretary was George Polley. When the 'True to the Core' had her engine installed George Snowdin was first engineer and Harold Polley second engineer.

62. Thanks to the skill of early photographers, of ten working in unpretentious surroundings, it is possible to gain a visual impression of life nearly a century ago. One such gentleman was John Ashworth Jones, who se shop at 18 Newgate Street in 1899 is seen on the left of the picture. Abraham Halls stands and studies the photographs in the window. A cart has stoppedjust short of George Polley's furniture and china shop at number 14. Behind his shop was a wooden building in which the volunteer lifeboat company stored their gear.

63. Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat! In W.B. Greenwood's butcher's shop at 34 Newgate Street the display contains a good selection of poultry and game together with several sides of beef, all of which will be brightly illuminated at dusk by the large gas lamp fitted to the shop facia. Seen standing in the doorway is A.B. Greenwood, one of W.B. Greenweed's sons and an active member of the town council when this picture was taken in 1898. The notice on the left of the doorway belongs to H. Cornpany, Second volunteer Batalion Essex Regiment, who under the command of Captain Frederick Baker had their depot at Saville Hall, Saville Street. Adjacent to the butcher's shop is Albert Azulay's photographic studio.

64. 'Any more for the Skylark?' This cry could be heard in 1892 when, at the top of Mill Lane, one of the crew with a megaphone would announce the imminent departure of the tripping smack 'Skylark', seen here with twelve passengers on board and about to sail from the watermill doek for a trip round the Naze to the pier, for which the fare was one shilling. The 'Skylark', owned jointly by Messrs. Britton, Halls and Terris, was licensed to carry ninety-seven passengers. Posters in the town advertised the range of trips from Walton. The 'White Swan', owned by the Polley brothers, could carry ninety-six passengers and sailed from the windmill dock. The 'Silver Cloud' was licensed for fifty-five and the 'Undaunted' for forty-five. There were also seven boats for between thirteen and seventeen and fortv-ene small ones for between four and ten passengers.

65. High and dry on the beach at the Low in 1910 is the Ramsgate fishing smack 'Valiant' R233 which had been abandoned by her crew the previous evening, after running aground on the West Rocks five miles east ofWalton. The 'Valiant' refloated during the night and drifted ashore. Some of the local boatmen are seen preparing for her refloating and journey to Harwich for a salvage claim to be made. The vessel's beam trawl gives some idea of the heavy work involved in working a fishing smack at this time.

66. Dorfing's Marine Hotel, as advertised in the 1876 'Guide to Walton-on-the-Naze', is weIl situated facing the North Sea and within f'ifty yards of it. It was built in 1829 and has been known through the years as the Marine Hotel. lts distinctive porch, not visible in this picture, can be seen in picture 71. The Guide gives some interesting facts as to the services provided by the hotel and its size. The number of apartments (one hundred), suites of sitting and bedrooms, dressing rooms, public rooms such as a fine assembly room and smoking and billiard rooms, as well as the tariff and wine list all indicate a well appointed family hotel, catering for the needs of its summer visitors and their servants, who could be 'boarded for 4s. a day'. A double bedroom cost Ss. to 7s.6d., a fire in the bedroom or sitting room 1 S., baths 1 S., and a table d'hote dinner 3s.6d. From the extensive wine list we see that a 'splendid sherry' cost 3s.6d. a bottle, and Highland malt whisky 4s. a bottle.

67. The large number of summer visitors in the town increased the demand for a plentiful supply of horse drawn vehicles, and here, in 1901 from the Marine Hotel stables, we see a selection of carts and carriages stretching down Old Pier Street into the Six Releat. Incidentally, the cart nearest the camera is a goat cart. The livery stables were used by tradesmen such as Henry James the baker and Frederick Christmas the carrier, whose van travelled to Colchester on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The Six Releat, also mentioned in pictures 15, 57, 70 and 71, is that area formed by the intersection of Old Pier Street and Newgate Street which together with Station Street and Suffo1k Street make a total of six roads. The word 'releat' is derived from an Anglo-Saxon word meaning a course, often a water conduit, but used also, as here, to mean a meeting of roads.

68. The view from the top of the Church tower looking east, in 1896, shows the Church field in the left foreground bearing the marks of a recent circus or perhaps tethered animaIs, the field known to have been used for both purposes. Looking down the High Street, the first building on the left, partly obscured by trees, is the house of Mr. Archer the miller, and clearly seen at either side of the largest tree in his garden are Alfred Cottages on the left, and Alfred Terrace, two of the three rows of houses which formed what at that time was known as the Square. The first building on the right in the High Street is the Porto bello Hotel, and leading off to the right is Old Pier Street with Morton Terrace. In the distance the Naze is undeveloped.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek