Watford in old picture postcards

Watford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Dennis F. Edwards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hertfordshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1400-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Watford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29 Market Place with the Essex Arms and the Corn Exchange. and Longleys

e Wranob erie _ยท0. 6S.

drapery store. The Tuesday market can be seen on the left.

-

30 An interesting selection of raad vehicles, old and new, in this study of Market Place just after the

First WorId War. lust behind the man on the horse cart are The Empress Tea Rooms and restaurant,

opened on the site of Derry House on 25th Iuly 1916. Note the lime trees on the right.

3 1 A step back into time and this is what Market Place looked like at the end of stagecoaching days, just

before the railway came in 1837. The Essex Arms is on the left, and in the distance is the old Market Hall near

the church. The hall was destroyed by fire in 1853.

32 Market Place 192 7 . The Empress Tea Rooms (right) were possibly intended as the site for the

terminus of the Metropolitan Railway branch from Moor Park. But the original plans were greatly modi-

fied because of objections to the proposed railway having to cross Cassiobury Park. When the line opened

in 1925, the station was inconveniently terrninated at the edge of Cassiobury, a mile from the town centre.

33 Market Day at Watford 1905. The EssexArms (left) was an important centre

for sociallife for centuries. In the days when it was owned byTrust Houses,

lunch cast 3 Op and af ternoon tea 15 p. The hotel closed down in 1929.

34 Market Place at the beginning ofthe 20th century The taU building on the left was the Bucks and Oxon Bank (later Lloyds).

On the right of the picture the white building is The Compasses, dating from 1726 or earlier. Later the pub was rebuilt and medi-

eva! remains were found in the wall, a fragment of which is now preserved at the corner of Market Street. Beyond can be seen The

Rose and Crown, the other principal inn of the town.

35 Cattle were still sold in the middle of the street at Market Place until 192 7 . For years there were complaints - 'Anyone can go

with a flock of sheep ... sell them ... the stench they leave is indescribable' complained a councillor. The Rose and Crown on

the right was built on part of a large area ofland owned by Merton College, Oxford. Eventually the land was sold and Market Street

Iaid out. Merton road commemorates the original owners, and the Roman Catholic church was also built on the same land.

36 Market Place at Christmas 1934. Cawdells rebuilt department store occupied the site of the Essex Arms

and the Corn Exchange. The business was founded by Iames Cawdell (died 1941) who took over the

drapery shop ofLongleys in 1905. Part of the site was occupied byTimothy Whites and Taylors, the

household store, who opened here in May 193 1.

37 View taken one morning in about 1948. An 5TLtype bus on route 142 -

West Kilburn to Watford ]unction - stops outside The Rose and Crown.

Cawdells were offering aak bedroom suites for f9-90p.

38 MarketPlace 1960, with a London Transport country bus (route 346 to

Kingswood) on the left. Across the street, a Scammel (Watford-built) 'mech-

anical horse' owned by British Railways is delivering goods.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek