Wellington in old picture postcards

Wellington in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   D.J. Marshall
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Somerset
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2953-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Wellington in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. A view from the centre of RockweIl Green towards Wellington. The shops on the right are adomed with the colourful enamel signs which were a feature of early-twentieth century advertising.

40. All Saints Church at Rockwell Green was built in 1889 and consecrated in 1890. It was originally constructed without a tower or spire, but ...

'7UlO

ALL SAINTS CHURCH. WELLINGTON SOMERSET.

41. ... these were added in 1908 to give the church its present dignified appearance.

lJellingfon, }{oly trinify ehurch.

42. Holy Trinity Church was opened in Mantle Street in 1831 in order to augment the seating of the parish church. However, the church fell into disuse in just over a hundred years and was fmally demolished in 1966.

Th» - hu. ho I'EO

43. A postcard, based on a-photograph taken at the end ofthe last century, which shows Sir John Popham's Almshouses in Mantle Street. These were rebuilt in 1833 and became the Roman Catholic Church of St John Fisher in 1940.

44. One of the many sm all family shops - in this case a butcher's shop in Mantle Street which have characterised country towns throughout this century. The proprietor and his family stand proudly outside the premises which today are a do-it-yourself shop.

45. A peaceful scene in Mande Street where a small group, including a donkey cart, has stopped to pose for the photographer.

46. Mantle Street leading to the south-westemend of the town. This postcard served as a subtle form of advertising because it was published by J. Quick who owned the store on the left.

47. A group of reveIlers assembles outside The Three Cups Hotel in Fore Street to celebrate the Relief of Mafeking in 1900. The flags above the arch bear the portraits of the military leaders of the Boer War.

48. The custom of 'firing the anvils' is performed in the cattie market between Fore Street and North Street, on 22 June 1911, to start the celebrations of the coronation of King George V. The cattle market is now the site of North Street car park.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek