Whitby in old picture postcards

Whitby in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Alan Pickup
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2437-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Whitby in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

INTRODUCTION

Anyone looking at Whitby in 1890 must have come to the conclusion how well off it was for both churches of all denominations and clergymen. At St. Mary's the Parish Church Cannon Austin was rector and he had no less than seven curates to assist hirn with St. Hilda's West Cliff, St. John the Evangelist, Baxtergate. St. Michael's, Church Street, and St. Ninian's, Baxtergate.

The Wesleyan Methodists had first begun to worship in the town about 1750 and in 1788 built a chapel in Church Street where John Wesley preached at the opening. This building was originally approached through an alley with houses on either side, but R.E. Pannet bought the property and demolished it. The original cost of the church was !l ,200. In 1814 the Wesleyans built another church in Brunswick Street which could hold 1,100 and an organ was added in 1833. In November 1889 a meeting was held to con-

sider re building the chape1 as numerous complaints had been made as to how unsightly the exterior was, about uncomfortable pews and defective ventilation. The aim was to replace it with a building which would hold 900 of whom 500 would be on the ground floor and the estimate for this was t5,500. The circuit was served by three ministers and there was a mission chapel off Flowergate which had been erected in 1837 by George Miller.

The Primitive Methodist Chapel in Church Street had been built in 1821 at a cost of f.l,OOO and twenty years later was re built and enlarged so it could se at 650. Fishburn Park Primitive Methodist Church had been built in 1866 to hold 330 at a cost of ti, 1 00. The Unitarian Chape1 at the foot of Flowergate had an interesting history . It had been built in 1715 and then re built in 1812 and could seat but 100 folk. The ministers had originally belonged to the Church of

Scotland, but it was during the lengthy pastorate of fifty-six years of Reverend Thomas Watson that the theology preached there developed into Unitarianism and in 1890 the Minister was Reverend F .H. Williams. The United Presbyterian Chapel in Cliff Street was connected with the Church of Scotland and had been put up in 1790 to seat 450 and from 1806 to 1848 Reverend George Young ministered there, but in 1890 it was served by Reverend George Robertson. Trinity Presbyterian Church of England in Flowergate had been built in 1877/88 by public subscription at a cost of f.5,600 to accommodate 500 and at this time Reverend G.M. Storrar was there.

The Congregational Church, West Cliff, was opened in 1868 at a cost of f. 5,000 and could hold 950 with a spire 12U feet high. There was also a mission chapel on The Cragg and a mission sundayschool in Church Street at this time with Reverend E. Fox Thomas in charge.

St. Hilda's Catholic Church in Bagdale had Reverend Randerson as priest in charge and he had an assistant. As if this choice of places of worship was not enough there was a Friend's Meeting House in Church Street, Salvatien Army Barracks, as they were called then, in Baxtergate, and a Christadelphian meeting room at St. Ann's Staith.

Whitby at this time was represented on the County Council by R.E. Pannet and Col. I.M. Clayhills, who four years earlier, in 1886, had contested the Parliamentary seat as Gladstonian candidate only to be defeated by Ernest W. Becke.tt Conservative by a majority of 1,138 votes.

The Post Office in Baxtergate was open from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. and Saturdays 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Sundays from 8 to 10 a.m, and again from 5 to 6p.m.

1. Whitby East Cliff, showing the many cottages clustering on the hillside with un made up paths and the lines of washing hung across the yards.

2. Argument's Yard about IYI2, which is but one ot the many quaint passages and alleyways which gives the town so much of its character.

3. This card of 1906 shows a character complete with bowler hat trying to lead a donkey up the steep slope by the side of 199 steps leading up to the Abbey.

WHITBY ABSEY. - THE WESTERN GATEWAY BEFORE & AFTER

THE: GE:RMAN BOMBAROMENT. DEC: 16"'.1914.

4. After the German bombardment of Scarborough on 16 December 1914 the ships sailed north and proceeded to shell Whitby. This card shows the western gateway to the Abbey before and after the German bombardment.

East eli//, Whifby

5. Looking over to the East Cliff with an old paddle steamer crowded with visitors and crowds lining the harbour side pre-1903. Rowing boats packed with people are following and a crowd is gathered on the jetty.

}

6. This harbour side scene goes back to pre-190S. On the left is the Buck Hotel and next to it a cycle shop. The white border on the front of the card indicates that the spa ce had to be used for a message if the card was going abroad as the back could still only be used for this purpose for inland correspondance.

7. Donkey rides for children have long been a feature of the British sea side scene and these three Whitby donkeys are patiently waiting for young customers.

8. This superb picture showing the ruins of the West Nave of Whitby Abbey is by a Iocal photographer called Ross and is pre-I918.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek