Whitstable in old picture postcards

Whitstable in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Michael Trowell
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3420-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Whitstable in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Cromwell Road South, from an undated card, looking much the same as it does today. The most interesting aspect of this picture are the clothes of the children. Half-length trousers were commonly worn by boys in the early years of this century.

ftigh Street, WhifsfabJe

10. Looking north down the High Street from a card posted in 1909. In the centre of the picture is a dairyman on his rounds. It is possibly Mr. Bisson who had a dairy at 76 Oxford Street, just to the north of the railway bridge. The dairyman delivered twice a day, using measuring cups to give customers the exact quantities of milk they needed. The shop 10 the left advertising 'Avos' bread is Hawkin's bakery. The next one along is a confeetioner's and the next Kennett's florist shop.

--~ö<-._~-==. _

~ b.ibd,.bl.. S ?? as:a.lt arls Chur,,1ï::;

11. Whitstable developed in the nineteenth century along a road from Canterbury which ran to the east of the original settlement in Church Streel. Much of the town of Whitstable is, therefore, in the Parish of Seasa1ter which is why Seasalter Parish Church, Saint Alphege's. depicted in this pre-1918 postcard, is in Whitstable High Streel. The church was built in 1844, as was the Whitstable and Seasalter Charity School, which can be seen in the background immediately to the left of the church. The rail frontage to the church no longer exists. It was taken down by the Government at the start of the Second World War to supply the metal requirements of the arrnaments factories. The shop on the right was a butcher's shop owned by Charlie Theobald.

Cromurell Raad, Whitstable.

490.

12. Cromwell Road North, circa 1910. On the left is the recently erected Westmeads Infant School. It was built in 1904 by the Kent Education Committee which had taken over responsibility for education in Kent under the 1902 Balfour Act. The same act abolished the Whitstable School Board which had overseen public education in the town since 1875. Westmeads' opening was marked by a procession of pupils from the old infants' school in Albert Street to the new one, applauded by the children's parents and other spectators who lined the route.

13. High Street, circa 1912. This postcard is particularly pertinent to this collection. The Caxton House Printing Works of W.J. Cox, 37 High Street, produced many of the postcards in this book including this one. Apart from postcards, Cox produced guide books and pictorial souvenirs of Whitstable and ran a circulating library. Church and Co., on the other side of the road, was a furniture shop. By 1913 this site had been taken over by the Picture House, one of the three cinemas in the town. The others were the Palais de Luxe in Harbour Street and the Oxford Cinema in Oxford Streel.

West CliJf. Whitstable. 48'.

-- ... - ..? :;..-

14. Goat Cards or chaises were a popular attraction at seaside resorts in the early years of this century and were started in Whitstable by a local man, Harry Cage. This one is operating along West Cliff, but young children might also ride from Tankerton Castle to the Harbour gates for the price of a penny. Goat carts competed with seaside donkeys in offering rides. At Tankerton in August 1912 a competition was held between donkeys and goats, parading along the seafront to see which were the better turned out, the 'goat chaises,' the local newspaper reported, 'being particularly admired'.

15. The origins of the Whitstable and Seasalter Golf Club whose members built this nine hole golf course are somewhat hazy. After being formed in 1910 by now unknown sponsors, it apparently lapsed during the First World War but revived in 1920. The course is one of the most low-lying in the country. The area on which it was built - known as the Saltings because of the Roman salt pans that were on the site - was very quickly under water in the 1897 flood. In 1953 another flood put the course under seven feet of water.

16. The boating lake was next to the Whitstable and Seasalter golflinks. It was, as shown bythis card postedin 1923, very popular with children, who paid a few pennies to row or paddle smal! boats around it. It was filled-in in the late 1960s.

17. An automobile going down the High Street, circa 1924. Motor cars were not very common in Whitstable at this time but their number was growing. Robert H. Goodsall, who lived in Whitstable in this era, mentions in his book Whitstable, Seasalter and Swalecliffe (1938), that by the 1920s it had become difficult for hirn to name the owner of every automobile in the town. In previous years there had been so few motor cars, and they were such a novelty, that most of the townspeople knew who owned each one.

18. Whitstable High Street, looking towards the Duke of Cumberland Hotel, from a card posted in 1912. The Prince of Wales public house on the extreme right na langer exists: the building is now the Job Centre. A contemporary form of job centre is on the left: the Australian Emigration Agency, promising Free and Assisted Passages. Farm workers were much in demand in Australia at this time. The Whitstable Times, in J anuary 1914, reported on a lecture given at the Picture House Cinema, by the official Government lecturer for New South Wales and Victoria, who claimed that both states were spending huge sums of money in providing irrigated farms on easy terms of purchase 'for new arrivals from the Mother Country'. Advertisements in the same newspaper tempted young girls to emigrate to Australia where the government guaranteed work for domestic servants.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek