Whitstable in old picture postcards

Whitstable in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Michael Trowell
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3420-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Whitstable in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Harbour street,

19. Harbour Street developed as the main trading area of Whitstable in the nineteenth century, while the High Street, the main shopping street today, was lined by private houses. On the right of this card, posted in 1907, are the Printing Works ofthe Ridout Brothers. Theywere, along with W.J. Cox (see card 13), one ofthe main postcard producers in the town. The awning over the shop on the left of the picture displays the name of A. Polloek, a tailor, trading at 26 and 27 Harbour Streel. The building in the centre, where the road becomes narrower, is Holden's Harbour Street grocery and provision store.

"Sione J(cuse" near R.eeves' ,Beaeh, whitstable.

20. Stone House, on Sea Wall, seen here on an undated postcard, was an early base for the Plymouth Brethren in Whitstable. The local movement's founding father was a Captain Jull, a sea captain, who, in November 1869, went to see the damage caused by the Great Fire of Whitstable which had destroyed over eighty buildings. No doubt inspired by what he saw as a sign from God, Captain Jul preached his religious faith among the tire's ruins and succeeded in converting a Mrs. Browning to the cause. She lived at Stone House and invited Captain Juli to stay there for a few days while he atttempted to convert more people, which he duly did. By 1875 the Plymouth Brethren had built a chapel in Harbour Street.

'919.

Whitstable, from Ludgate Hill.

21. A view from Ludgate HilI, from an undated card. The castellated construction is Harbour Buildings which was erected in 1905 by a local builder, George Porter, who, the story goes, was told he would never get a building on the wedge shape piece ofland between Harbour Street, to the left, and Sea Street, to the right. He proved his doubters wrong in some style. The building was owned by Fred Goldfinch, a leading townsman, who, in 1912, rented it to Wallace Pring, a dress maker, whose name has recently been uncovered to grace the shop front in Harbour Street once again. Pring was an eccentric. He was a religious fanatic who walked around town with 'Prepare to Meet Thy Doom' type sandwich boards on, and had similar notices posted up at the railway station. Not quite the warm welcome to the town that visitors might have preferred. At one time, Pring also took to growing potatoes on the flat roof of his accommodation.

"woverleƧ }(ouse" 15 }(arbour j?lace, Wh iis 10 bie.

22. This undated card shows Waverley House, a holiday home for working girls. It is believed that the girls were domestic servants from London, sent by their employers to Whitstable for a rest from their duties. They were not set entirely free, however. The house was run by a matron who saw to the girls' welfare by, no doubt, keeping a strict eye on their behaviour. Though the address is given as 15 Harbour Place, this road, which runs from the right to the left of the card, has since been renamed Sydenharn Street. The lower building, immediately behind Waverley House, was Saint Peter's Sunday School which was demolished in 1985. The sign, partly obscured by the street gas lamp, was that of the New Inn public house.

Reeve's Beach, Whitstable

23. Reeves' Beach, shown here from a card posted in 1925, was, before the sea wal! was built, a favourite spot for Witstabie residents and holiday-makers where they could watch the antics of the bathers and the comings and goings of vessels in and out of the harbour. Elderly Whitstable gentlemen often sat on the benehes here and had a good 'cuff' - the name they gave to their reminiscences about the old times and the people they once knew. Reeves' Beach, incidental!y, was named after Josiah Reeves who, in the later nineteenth century, owned a timber yard just behind this stretch of the sea front.

24. The roller skating rink behind Reeves' Beach was opened in 1914 after much controversy. The Whitstable Urban District Council had planned to buy the land and develop it into a leisure area but as there was much opposition from the ratepayers, who saw it becoming a burden on them, the scheme was put into the hands of private enterprise. The ratepayers' fears were not justified because when the rink was opened it was an immediate financial success. During the First World War it was very popular with the soldiers of the 5th King's Liverpool lrish Regiment who were billeted in the town. They amused onlookers by perforrning stunts like jumping over barrels. As we can see from the people lining the balcony, the rink was very popular with spectators as wel! as skaters. Spectators paid twopence for their entertainment while the skaters paid sixpence for a session ofwhich there were three every day.

25. Marine Terrace, West Beach, circa 1910. There have been some improvements made by the residents ofthis row over the years. Bay windows, like those ofthe houses on the rightofthe terrace as we look atit, have been added to all the houses since this photograph was taken. The house on the right-hand end has a particularly interesting past. It was the first office of the Seasalter and Ham Oyster Fishery Company, alocal organization, other than the Whitstable Oyster Fishery Company, that worked off the North Kent coast.

West Cliff Beach, Whitstab'e

.'

26. A peaceful scene on West Cliff beach in the early years of this century. The man posing casually for the picture and the woman sitting on the breakwater seem to be taking life leisurely, though the deceptively placid looking oyster boats in the distance have, no doubt, many hard-werking dredgermen on them.

Coastguard Statton. Whttsta sle

27. The coastguard shelter on West Beach, from a card posted in 1913. Despite the printing on this postcard, the coastguard station proper is, in fact, out of the picture to the right. The original shelter was swept away in the 1897 flood, as was the Old Neptune public house. The restored Old Neptune can be seen in the distance. It was constructed from the remains of two cottages which, facing along the beach, in front of the original Old Neptune, had been considerably damaged in the flood. They were still solid enough, however, to be moved onto the site of the original Old Neptune and rebuilt as its successor.

28. Wave Crest and Beach, from a card posted in 1924. There was at least one constructive result of the terrible 1897 flood which hit Whitstable. The sea pushed so much shingle backwards from the beach that it provided the foundations for Wave Crest terrace, seen on the right ofthis picture. No doubt made attractive by their position on the edge ofthe beach, many of the houses in Wave Crest became places to stay for holiday-makers. In a 1909 guide book nine ofthe houses were advertised as 'Apartments'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek