Whitstable in old picture postcards

Whitstable in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Michael Trowell
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3420-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Whitstable in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. Though this postcard, circa 1906, states that it depiets Tankerton Road, this part of Whitstable is now called Tower Parade. It was developed after 1890 as the main road between Whitstable and Tankerton. The road swinging to the left past the castle gate is Tower Gardens road which was cut through the castle grounds to create a picturesque route to Marine Parade and the sea front. The photographer, who so of ten was the centre of attention in this era, is, in this case, competing unsuccessfully with other attractions. Tricycles were still novel enough to attract the studied gaze of children not lucky enough to have their own.

40. Tankerton Almshouses, Tower Parade, circa 1902. They were built in 1873 by Wynn Ellis, a London businessman, who owned Tankerton CastIe. He erected the almshouses to the memory ofhis wife, Dame Mary Ellis. They were open to applicants who had lived in the parishes of Whitstable or Seasalter for at least twenty years. Single men were not allowed to live in them. At the time when this picture was taken there was room for eight single women and four married couples. To the right of the picture is the drinking fountain which was erected to commemorate sixty years of Queen Victoria's reign in 1897. Attached to it by chains were small metal cups out of which anybody, in those less hygiene conscious days, could drink.

41. Tankerton Castie, circa 1904. The earliest part of what John Newman, in The Buildings of England series, calls 'a small castellated mansion', was built in 1792. lts most famous resident was Wynn Ellis, the London businessman and art collector, who added to it in the 1830s. He was known, as was every resident ofthe castIe, as the Lord of the Manor of Tankerton. The message on the back of this card is relevant to the student of postcard history. It reads: 'I rather like this card. They are new,' referring to the Silverette series first published by Raphael Tuck and Son in 1904, when this card was posted. The whimsicality of the message and the fact that it was posted from Whitstable to someone in Whitstable show how postcards were sent for the slightest reason in their 'Golden Age', falling before 1918 in which year the postage rate doubled from a halfpenny to a penny.

~AN~ERTON.-CARL TON TERRA~E

42. Carlton Terrace, Tankerton, circa 1906. At this time roads were of ten known by the row of houses along them. Carlton Terrace is the row on the right of this postcard, along what is now called Tankerton Road. The cross above one of the houses is explained by the card's sender who wrote on the back: 'The house marked in this view is where we stayed last year. ' This house, then, was probably one of the large number oflodging houses in Whitstable and Tankerton. Many residents took advantage of the holiday season by opening their homes to summer guests to supplement their income.

43. The Tankerton Hotel, on Marine Parade, soon after it was built in 1902. In 1908 it was extended, to the right as we look at it. As Tankerton developed as a seaside resort, this hotel became one of the main sourees of accornrnodation for holiday-makers and one of the focal points for entertainment. Just across the road from it was an open-air stage where variety acts played to the holiday crowds. By the 1920s the Jollity Boys, a local act, was one of the most popular groups of entertainers to perform there. The writing on the front of this card is worth noting. Before 1902 the Postmaster General did not allow messages to be written on the same side as the address so postcard publishers of ten left a blank space on the picture side to allow the sender to write a few words.

MARINE 'PARAQE. TANKERTON-ON-5EA.

44. Seaside holidays became increasingly popular in the nineteenth century, largely because of the development of the railway network which enabled people to travel quickly and cheaply. Based on the knowledge that it took Londoners only one-and-a-half hours to travel to Whitstable, which was renowned for its healthy c1imate, two estate companies were formed in 1890 to develop Tankerton as a 'health resort' . By 1891 the long road along the c1iff top had been marked out and named Marine Parade. This undated postcard shows Cliff Terrace, the first building to be erected along Marine Parade. By 1908 overthree hundred buildings had been put up in Taukerton and a guide book of that year was confidently stating that 'It is obvious that Tankerton will, in the very near future, become one of the most popular health resorts on the Kentish Coast'.

45. Tankerton Slopes and Marine Parade from a card posted in 1913 provides an interesting study of early twentieth century summer fashions. It is thought that this picture was taken on Regatta day. The grassy Tankerton Slopes were an excellent vantage point from which to watch the boat races of this annual event. This card was produced by Noakes and Company, postcard publishers at Canterbury.

46. A view of Whitstable Bay, from an undated card, showing two different but equally important aspeets of the town's life. The masts of the vessels in the harbour indicate the all-year-round maritime trading side of Whitstable. The smaller rowing boats and paddling ehildren show the holiday resort side which brought, during the season, visitors' money into the town. This was erucial for many Whitstable people who relied on summer income to see them through the off-season months.

t4

I

THE SLOPES, TANKERTON-ON-SEA.

47. The Slopes, Tankerton, from an undated postcard. As we can see there were bathing huts at the bottom of the slopes, as there are today. The bandstand, however, has since been pulled down. Whenin use it was a very popular attraction for Whitstable visitors and residents alike. Bands played regularly through the summer. This postcard was published by E.A. and A. Haslett of Tankerton-on-sea.

Promenade Tankerton, Whitstable

48. Promenade, Tankerton, circa 1922. The children in the centre ofthe picture are standing next to a 'Bubbles Machine', which, no doubt, held their full attention before the photographer distracted them. To play the machine they paid a penny and were given a wire net. The operator, with bellows, pumped light-weight balls around the large tub and the first child to catch three in his net won a bar of chocolate.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek