York in old picture postcards

York in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Alan Pickup
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2420-1
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'York in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

INTRODUCTION

So much importance and publicity has been given to York's ancient historical background via the recent Viking finds that we tend to loose sight of the more recent changes that have taken place and of what life was like between 1890 and 1930.1t is hoped that this book will go some way towards re dressing this balance by showing a little of life and events in the city during this period.

I want to trace briefly the situation in the late 1920's. Public transport was controlled by the Corporation and comprised both rail and railless systems, There was an average 10 minute service between 8 a.m, and 10.45 p.m. operated by trams or trolley buses whilst railless cars plied between Pavement and Heworth operating a 20 minute service.

York Corporation also supplied e1ectric power from their power station at Foss Is1ands. Lighting customers only paid 3~d. per unit on the flat rate.

The census of 1921 gave the population as 84,052 whilst in 1924/25 the rates were 14/11 in the pound.

At this time York had two theatres. In addition to the Theatre Royal there was the Opera House and Empire in Clifford Street.

This was the heyday of the cinema and York could boast no less than six! There were The Electric Theatre in Fossgate, The Rialto in Fishergate, The Picture House and Café in Coney Street, The Grand Picture House in Clarence Street, St. George's Hall Cinema and Ballroom in Castlegate and The Tower Super Cinema in New Street.

Ballroom dancing thrived at this period and there were five halls in the city where you could go for an evening's dancing. There were a similar number of Masonic Ledges.

At St. Peter's School the Headmaster, Mr. J.M. Toyne, possessed the right of nomination to W 001wich, Sandhurst and Cranwell. The fees for boarders at Elmfield College for Boys were bet ween 23 and 25 guineas per term. The Local Education Authority could offer Nunthorpe for boys and Queen Anne and

Mill Mount for girls. The fees for day pupils varied between ±:4:4s. and ±:5:5s. per term.

Hill's beatyard offered a daily service to Poppleton and the Arch Bishop's Palace, return fare 1/-. The Picture House Café in Coney Street could offer a four course lunch for 2/-.

It is most interesting that in 1929 the comment was being made that 'During the past 100 years many priceless relics of antiquity have been destroyed for the sake of some so called improvements. Today, however, the feeling is generally growing amongst the citizens that Vork can afford to lose no more of her old buildings, that she willlose her charm, and cease to have that attractive power that draws visitors from all over the world, if these old remains are destroyed'.

Acknowledgements [or the York Baak

I would like to acknowledge the help and co opera-

tion of the following people in the production of this book on 'Vork in old picture postcards'. Mr. B.L. Thornton of Smales Street Bishophill, Vork, who made his own personal collection of cards available also many old reference books; Mrs. Fiona Clewlow of Fishergate for the loan of old negatives of Vork; E. Buck of Stockton Lane for providing postcards, and J.H. Meredith of Copmanthorpe for providing prints of trams.

Without their help this ba ok would not have been possible.

About the Author

Mr. Alan Pickup has a collection of over 6,000 old postcards and prints covering the area from Helmsley to Scarborough and especially of Pickering, where he lives. He has written other books in this series on Pickering, Scarborough and Whitby.

1. Very very few residents of York are aware that at one time the Minster had a clock on the south entrance. The old clock was removed in 1873, so this makes this card one of the very earliest examples of photography.

2. The Cast1e Museum, Wales & Son Garage with open and closed cars for hire and agents for B.P. Petrol. The registration number of the car in the foreground is H. 259. The shop on the right is Rodger's Fent and Drapery Stores.

3. The Castle Museum, Half Moon Court, showing the premises of Alec. W. House, Electrical Engineer, and the notice on the building 'You may telephone from here'.

4. Kirkgate, Castle Museum, York. When you look down from the upstairs gallery on to the horse and coach and coachman, the irnpression is that the horse is real. Here in Kirkgate each Christmas crowds gather for the traditional singing of carols in Kirkgate.

5. The Castle Museum, York, showing the King William Hotel in Half Moon Court and its sign 'Good Beds for cyclists', Outside is a beautifully restored gipsy caravan.

6. A view looking to the Royal Station Hotel in 1926. The Hotel was under the management of L.N.E.R. Co and they claimed the Hotel, which adjoins the station, is thoroughly up to date. Offers every comfort, lounge, reading and writing room, tea room on the platform and modern garage. Souvenir tariff available from the resident manager.

YORK FRO. r TATIO.' HO'I:EI,. LEE. f,u':,; .10. ·UME. "T.

7. Vork looking from the Station Hotel towards Leeman's Monument in 1909. The impression one gets is of the great amount of greenery there is and that it almost looks to be in a rural setting,

8. St. Mary's Abbey, York, in 1908. This was one of a series of Fine Art Postcards supplied free by Christian Novels Publishing Co. For pure reading matter 'Christian Novels is the world's best'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek