York in old picture postcards

York in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Alan Pickup
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2420-1
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'York in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

29. This busy street market scene goes back to 1904. The building with the striped blinds is Kleiser, watchmakers.

c:

- ;:,..." '-;.. -

~ .. = ...

30. This shot of CIifton Green without any railings round it is pre-1904.

31. This eard of Clifton Green, showing the fenee and the green enclosed and quite large trees, was postmarked 1913.

32. Military Sunday with the officers assembling in full ceremonial dress outside the Minster. These seemed to be an annual event before the First World War.

33. Military Sunday 1908, which is the earliest card of this event seen. This shows the parade led by a military band and the crowds assemb1ed to watch the procession.

34. St. William's College in Oglethorpe, which was originally the House of the Prior of Hexam in Northumber1and, was once the residence of thirty-six parsons connected with York Minster. St. William, whose embalmed he ad was preserved in York Minster, was a comparative1y modern patron saint for he died in 1154 and was on1y canonised in 1284.

VER 1"1 u vterno» a CJ:Y w.rt) ar ä Sta 'Of' Hotel Vork

35. The North Eastern Railway War Memorial, the City Walls and the Station Hotel. Many employees of the railway companies gave their lives in the 1914-1918 War.

36. Coney Street in 1905. In the middle of the street onee stood the Bull Inn. It was originally spelt Conying i.e, King Street. On the right hand side is Arehibald Ramsden's, who sold pianos and organs.

37. This card of Mick1egate Bar wou1d appear to be about 1912 judging from the flat caps and the white collars that the three boys are wearing. Especially interesting is the fact that the tram 1ines run under the bar.

38. Bishopthorpe Palace, taken from the river in 1921. Today this remains the official home of the Archbishop of York.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek