York in old picture postcards

York in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Alan Pickup
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2420-1
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'York in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

69. This scene in front of Bootham Bar is dated 1916. A pony and trap with two milk churns in the back is going through the bar and the two 1adies are pushing a pram with a sun shade on it.

70. This view of Micklegate Bar is from 1921. The shop on the right is C. Eden's Hair cutter. This is in many ways the most interesting bar of all. On this bar the heads of traitors were hung including in 1460, after the battle of Wakefield, the head of Richard Duke of York. The last to be exposed here were the heads of Jacobite rebels in 1745.

71. Petergate, High and Low, leads from Bootham Bar to King's Square and is on the line of an oid Roman road. In 6, High Petergate lived Sir Thomas Herbert, the faithful secretary of Charles land present with hirn at his execution.

, ~ 72. Goodramgate is named after a Danish Chief, Guthram, and leads from Kings Square to Monk Bar. There was a covered entrance from Goedramgate to College Street and here was one of the gates into the Minster preeinets.

73. Getting up steam on the Ouse at Clifton in 1907.

A. 4730. YOP.K, BOOT HAM BAR.

74. This close up of Bootham Bar shows a horse and carriage waiting for custom in the same way that taxis ply for hire today. The sign on the right reads W. Dale J oiner and the shop on the left belongs to C. Dickenson.

75. Clifford's Tower pre-1918. The reverse reads 'One of a beautiful series of fine art cards supp1ied free by Shurry's Pub1ications, Smart Novels, Yes & No and Dainty Novels'.

RJVER OVSE. VORK.

76. The River Ouse looking up towards Lenda1 Bridge; the period before 1907.

77. Lendal Tower with the Minster in the background and with a rowing boat setting off from the jetty with two characters in straw hats.

78. This row of what looks like alms-houses with their shuttered windows was known as Ingram's Hospital.

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek